• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build - suffer from random freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is normal for the voltage to go up and down fast with load, multiplier, temperature change. In Auto or Adaptive mode the VID (voltage identification) part of the Intel CPU design controls the Vcore sending the voltage requirements to the VRM (voltage regulator module) on the motherboard.

VID is set in the Intel factory according to each chip tested.

That is normal for the voltage to go up and down fast with load, multiplier, temperature change. In Auto or Adaptive mode the VID (voltage identification) part of the Intel CPU design controls the Vcore sending the voltage requirements to the VRM (voltage regulator module) on the motherboard.

VID is set in the Intel factory according to each chip tested.
Yes, I've done some reading on that lately (so now I know), so I'm kind of hoping that when I had it set to manual 1.2 V that wasn't enough in all situations, thereby causing the freezing. But I agree it sounds a bit dubious, as 1.2 V should be enough for a stock clock. Nevertheless, it has now been running for 54 hours without freezing, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hard. :)

How did you record the maximum voltage increase so you know for sure it did not go over 1.2v in all conditions? I use HWMonitor and my voltage goes up to 1.260v Maximum stock Auto voltage.

If you can not seem to find a solution, there was guy just a few days ago who was experiencing freezes and he took his cpu out of the motherboard and noticed one bent pin in the socket. Repaired it and all has been well. Maybe it is possible either the board came with a bent pin (not likely) maybe perhaps you bent a pin installing it? Maybe it's neither but if it continues then to further the process of elimination it's something I would consider checking.

How did you record the maximum voltage increase so you know for sure it did not go over 1.2v in all conditions? I use HWMonitor and my voltage goes up to 1.260v Maximum stock Auto voltage.
In auto mode it seems the max voltage is 1.232 V, as shown by HWiNFO64 and CPU-Z. When I set it to 1.2 V manual, it stayed put at 1.2 V.

If you can not seem to find a solution, there was guy just a few days ago who was experiencing freezes and he took his cpu out of the motherboard and noticed one bent pin in the socket. Repaired it and all has been well. Maybe it is possible either the board came with a bent pin (not likely) maybe perhaps you bent a pin installing it? Maybe it's neither but if it continues then to further the process of elimination it's something I would consider checking.
I have actually taken the CPU out and looked closely at the socket pins, but everything was in order. I used the Asus CPU tool when I first mounted the CPU, but I removed that (it really isn't necessary if you know what you're doing, and I'm actually a hardware electronics engineer) when I took the CPU out to check the socket for bent/damaged pins. The only issue was that there was too much thermal paste (I mounted the cooler with the preapplied paste), so I cleaned it up and applied a suitable amount when remounting the cooler. But I can't imagine that would have anything to do with it, really.

Anyway, the computer has now been on for 58 hours without any freezes, so I'm starting to get my hopes up. :)

In auto mode it seems the max voltage is 1.232 V, as shown by HWiNFO64 and CPU-Z. When I set it to 1.2 V manual, it stayed put at 1.2 V.

The voltage looks correct for auto. I hope the problem was that you just did not give the CPU enough voltage when set to manual Vcore.

The voltage looks correct for auto. I hope the problem was that you just did not give the CPU enough voltage when set to manual Vcore.

It has now been running for 103 hours continuously, so I am getting more and more hopeful that the problem is gone. However, I guess there is a chance that the issue will return after it has been turned off and on again, so tonight I'll turn it off to (hopefully) validate that the issue is indeed gone. I usually don't leave my computer on 24/7, but I did it now because of the problem.

Have you also been using the PC during some of the time?
Yes, it has been used every day, which of course increases my hope that the issue might be gone. I've now had it turned off for one night, and I'll just continue using it normally, hoping for the best.

Weeks has passed, and no more freezes, so I consider this as solved, even though I'm not entirely sure what it really was. The most likely theory is voltage starvation of the CPU, since I had it set to a fixed, manual voltage of 1.2 V. I thought that since I wasn't overclocking, that should have worked, but I guess my sample wasn't happy with that. I guess I could go back and try to recreate the settings that was in use when the freezes was happening, but I'm just happy it works now.

Thanks to all who took the time to answer and offer assistance in this thread, I really do appreciate it.

Makes me wonder if a Windows update fixed a buggy driver or something like that.

300,000,000 what? CPUs? I was not referring to CPUs but to hardware device drivers as a whole. Every system is unique. And OP is not totally sure if his problem was low CPU voltage. It could have been a problem with some other device driver that was corrected by an update that was pushed. I was just suggesting that as a possibility.

300,000,000 what? CPUs? I was not referring to CPUs but to hardware device drivers as a whole. Every system is unique. And OP is not totally sure if his problem was low CPU voltage. It could have been a problem with some other device driver that was corrected by an update that was pushed. I was just suggesting that as a possibility.

300,000,000 windows 10 users would be effected by a bad windows update. I have not seen a fix for motherboard drivers in windows 10 update listing since release. I keep up on windows updates.:)

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009938/windows-10-update-kb3213986

Back