• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Help me choose a router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
So I'm upgrading to Xfinity's internet service from Uverse and I've decided to buy my own gear rather than rent. I haven't bought a modem or router in well over a decade so I'm quite a bit out of the loop. I'm fairly certain I'll be getting the Arris SB6183 Modem.

Help me choose which WiFi router to get. Feel free to share stories of the good the bad and the ugly. I have lots to learn about this.

Last edited:
I went with a Linksys WRT1900ACS. The 5ghz range isn't quite as good as the 2.4ghz range, but it does seem to work well on both.

I've had Comcast Performance for many years. I have the SB6121 docsis 3.0 modem and an Asus RT-N56U router. I don't have any AC devices, so the N is plenty fast enough. I used to buy Netgear routers, but never had one last a full year. They may have better reliability now, but I'll never buy another one. Had good luck with an old Linksys G router before I upgraded to my current Asus. Retired it for wireless N & gigabit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062

I use a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Have been using it for a little over a year now with no issues. I will have a Xbox, smart tv, 2 computers, and 4 phones or tablets connected wirelessly plus 2 computers and my media server on the wired ports without issues. There is a few updated(more powerful) versions of this router but I don't know if they are worth the price premium.

I've got a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 running DD-WRT build 30016 (a beta build) Thing works great! no issues with wifi dropping or anything.

I'm using it in client mode to act as a wifi extender and allow me to wire up my rig via cat5

Is the interface/setup better than the USG? I wasn't a fan of it as much as I like their AP's.

I haven't played with a USG. I found the interface pretty easy to get around once I updated the software.

I have xfinity right now. Just bought Arris SB6190 and Linksys EA7500. I have an Asus PCE-AC88 wireless adapter card for my cpu. speedtest.net shows about 90Mbps with a 12 ping. Also, my router is about 100ft away behind 4 walls with aluminum studs.

I forgot that I have a Linksys EA3500 at my lakehouse & it is a very nice router (except it is sitting on a shelf). Every device we have (and our friends devices) works great with it except my wife's work issued Dell notebook. I know it's a good wireless router, the Dell's issue is just something to do with her companies IT policy.

I fired Comcast up there because there's another internet provider that can give us twice the speed at the same cost! It is a dual DSL service and I hope it continues to work as advertised. :)

That's funny.. same with my wireless....everything works fine, but she gets drops off the wifi/VPN on her work pc.

UPDATE

I purchased a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 form ATMINSIDE for a very good price. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll tag this thread solved.

Back