• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED *OFFICIAL* Kaby Lake Overclocking results thread!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I went ahead and popped the top off my 7700k and I didn't see much difference in OC potential. Maybe a 5°c difference in temps but the voltage/clock were relatively unchanged. I did think the consistency of the TIM was slightly different this time as compared to skylake. This time around it seemed a bit more maleable where I found on the 6700k it was quite dry and flaky almost.

7700k de-lid.jpg

I went ahead and popped the top off my 7700k and I didn't see much difference in OC potential. Maybe a 5°c difference in temps but the voltage/clock were relatively unchanged. I did think the consistency of the TIM was slightly different this time as compared to skylake. This time around it seemed a bit more maleable where I found on the 6700k it was quite dry and flaky almost.

View attachment 187542

Thank you for posting and for letting us know what the 7700K looks like "topless". :)

I am beginning to wonder if the TIM is the reason they seem to overclock better or if it is something else. I do understand J45 that under the "deep freezer" it may seem to O/C about the same(?)

Thank you for posting and for letting us know what the 7700K looks like "topless". :)

I am beginning to wonder if the TIM is the reason they seem to overclock better or if it is something else. I do understand J45 that under the "deep freezer" it may seem to O/C about the same(?)

It would take more than just TIM IMO, could just be a refined process /binning ?

Did some more testing last night

Johan45 /7700k / 5.2 & 5.0 cache @ 1.4v / 4000 CL17 / Max IX Formula ver. 701 / Chilled H2O / Yes

5.2 aida 4000 mem.JPG

gb 5760 22324.JPG

Last edited:
Not being a d..k (or maybe yes :D ), but Aida, for stability, need 6 hours min...

Why not using Realbench? One hour and you're done.

Just as an example: rig in sig does 12 hours with [email protected]/1.295v, where it needs 1.32v with RB...

BTW, super nice OC Johan!!! :thup:

Highly Disagree. RB or Aida both 4-6 min. (In my experience. Heck I even follow RB with Aida anymore)....Current rig current OC ran RB 4 hours...Aida 4 hours......p95 version 28.10 (Not needed for strictly Gaming probably) crashed in 51 min. Upped vCore .010v now I can pass all three for 4+ hours and nothing less is stable for me.

Edit 4-6 hours min. LOL

Last edited:
4-6 mins is a joke to test for stability... I am guessing that was a typo, LOL!

But yeah, in the end, its what works for YOU. ;)

That was 25 minutes with Aida64, stability for me is irrelevant most of the time. That would be stable enough to run any bench I want even XTU. I was just messing about. The CL13 wouldn't stabilize at all but was good for benching. I just tried to get something set up that I can start my PC and bench , not have to mess about . Too bad I'm returning the Formula, the flashback USb will not work and that is very important to me.

First chip was so-so RB 1hr. 50/46 @ 1.328v. However this one looks like a win.
500x1000px-LL-45cab221_2-50-1.2v.png
Quick first test. 5ghz-stock @ 1.2v - VID 1.136v
I'll post more after further testing. Just happy to find what looks to be a keeper.
L639F977 - Quite a few of these have proven to very nice chips.
Who is waiting on an Apex?

Last edited:
Not being a d..k (or maybe yes :D ), but Aida, for stability, need 6 hours min...

Why not using Realbench? One hour and you're done.

Just as an example: rig in sig does 12 hours with [email protected]/1.295v, where it needs 1.32v with RB...

BTW, super nice OC Johan!!! :thup:

Highly Disagree. RB or Aida both 4-6 min. (In my experience. Heck I even follow RB with Aida anymore)....Current rig current OC ran RB 4 hours...Aida 4 hours......p95 version 28.10 (Not needed for strictly Gaming probably) crashed in 51 min. Upped vCore .010v now I can pass all three for 4+ hours and nothing less is stable for me.

Edit 4-6 hours min. LOL

Dozen of threads about this and people keep ignoring, if you do Prime95 28.10 you don't need the others, it's completely and utterly redundant. Aida64 = Prime95 26.6. Realbench = Prime95 27.9. Use the correct tool for the correct job : 26.6/Aida64 for gaming/browsing (SSE), 27.9/Realbench for x264 encoding (SSE/AVX), 28.10 for x265/fold/important work/~100% stability (SSE/AVX/AVX2/FMA3). It's all about what instruction set you need for day to day.

"Need to get them all" in this case it's a complete time waste and will get you nothing in return except a bigger power bill, starting to think you lot all have OCD or something :rofl:

First chip was so-so RB 1hr. 50/46 @ 1.328v. However this one looks like a win.
View attachment 187670
Quick first test. 5ghz-stock @ 1.2v - VID 1.136v
I'll post more after further testing. Just happy to find what looks to be a keeper.
L639F977 - Quite a few of these have proven to very nice chips.
Who is waiting on an Apex?

Nice chip hotrod, seems to be most of them are getting to 5.0 this release.
I just ordered the Apex yesterday, should be here in a couple days I hope.

It was hard to get it ordered here too. I returned the M9F Saturday since the flashback wasn't working. Went over to the retail counter and asked about the Apex. He looked it up and they said they had 2 in stock. I could order through the store and pick it up next weekend or order from home and get in a couple days since they had free delivery special it seemed like the right way to go. Well when I'm at home I can't find it on their site. Called the guy at CanadaComputers and he verified it is available and then emailed me the link. I don't think I could have ordered it any other way. The order went through and should get some tracking info today hopefully
Here's the link http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=103886&cPath=569_26_1207_1460 I just checked and they seem to have a few in stores today so I'm think the "official" release was today maybe

It was hard to get it ordered here too. I returned the M9F Saturday since the flashback wasn't working. Went over to the retail counter and asked about the Apex. He looked it up and they said they had 2 in stock. I could order through the store and pick it up next weekend or order from home and get in a couple days since they had free delivery special it seemed like the right way to go. Well when I'm at home I can't find it on their site. Called the guy at CanadaComputers and he verified it is available and then emailed me the link. I don't think I could have ordered it any other way. The order went through and should get some tracking info today hopefully
Here's the link http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?item_id=103886&cPath=569_26_1207_1460 I just checked and they seem to have a few in stores today so I'm think the "official" release was today maybe
I'm on M8I. All seems good except a voltage bug 5.2+
Hopefully a sign we will see them here soon.

Back