• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED *OFFICIAL* Kaby Lake Overclocking results thread!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like those Kaby Lake chips! It definitely makes Sky Lake seem like a flop!
It is pretty impressive these chips are doing 5g on ambient cooling. Though, Sky Lake a flop, how so? My 6700k will do 4.8 on air all day long and I'm sure 4.9 or 5.0 would be doable on my H2O setup.

Though, Sky Lake a flop, how so?

Well, because of an issue when running certain workloads and possibly a mass recall required. Seemed that at least in comparison to 2017 and the forth quarter of 2016, Intel was arrogant and then that came back to bite Intel...

It didn't help that post-Vishera AMD was pretty much a billion miles away! In 2015, AMD steadfastly believed that the Piledriver architecture was the flagship...
Even though AMD was definitely doing at least a fair amount better when the FX 8370 came out...

Last edited:
I don't remember a mass recall. Whatever that issue was, it's long since resolved. How can that still be an issue?

They didn't recall anything. That is a bug with an overkill stress test. Hardly something that affected everyone in the first place. Non issue...certainly not a mass recall.

I just posted the only thing I remember which was mentioned about "SL issue" ... I think there was BIOS fix some time later. There were 4 or 5 new microcode updates after that.

Btw. I have 5.1GHz result with higher memory clock in post #16 ;) ... and I don't think I will stabilize anything above that

Last edited:
Ya I wont get into the Skylake microcode issue. Fact of the matter is there are microcode issues on every chip ever manufactured and work arounds for all of them. I was reading something not too long ago about all this. But I still wouldn't call Skylake a slouch, the 6600k and 6700k are absolutely the fastest quad core processors money could buy up until this month. And I am very very excited to see all these 5 GHz overclocks. Some of them at a lower voltage than my 4.5 GHz overclock. Taxes are just around the corner, then I'll have some extra cash.

In the past ( like P4 era ) Intel was publishing list of possible CPU errors while computation. I remember when was a lot of noise about Prescott because of 30 something possible errors while Northwood had 13 or something near. More or less possible errors are in each generation and still it's not affecting most users.
Skylake "issue" wouldn't probably be found if not all who are stress testing processors for long hours. I had no issues at work with any skylake in laptop or desktop computer. I would also expect gamers to find any error faster than regular office workers. Most office computers barely ever pass 50% load ( or are really old ). The same most servers barely ever pass 50% load. Those who require high performance are not using Skylake for work but I expect other CPUs to have some issues too.
I could find other issues that are affecting many users like USB 3.0 which has constant problems with performance, stability, random disconnecting, drivers, power management etc. The same since Intel released their USB 3.0 controller.

I guess it's already pretty far off topic ... going back on track, post your Kaby Lake OC results :)

Just got my set up yesterday. Only did some quick testing. Aida at 5.0 1.26v XTU 1.3v but I'm having issue with cache. I can't seem to raise it from stock. I did notice that my BIOS is very early I have the same board as you E_D and my BIOS is ver. 222, I saw yours was ver. 301 and they have ver. 701 on the site so I'm flashing tonight and see how that goes.

Realizing that this thread is for OCF'ers to post their OCs of the 7700k, I couldn't restrain myself from posting this in regards to a 5.2Ghz on some decent, off-the-shelf parts. Seems that MSI has a pretty decent BIOS, and board.

Saw that earlier... 1.50V is a bunch... I am guessing that can be lowered as Auto tends to overvolt in favor of stability...

I thought that the skylake and kaby lake cpu's didnt actually raise clocks until you were in windows- even thought the bios shows your speed once you get into windows

Never heard that.. however, never had anything to test against a BIOS to see what clocks it was at when in the BIOS...

EDIT: Wait, no I had that ROG thingy... I wouldn't bet money on it, but I recall it matching whatever the BIOS said while it was in the BIOS.

I thought that the skylake and kaby lake cpu's didnt actually raise clocks until you were in windows- even thought the bios shows your speed once you get into windows

The Gigabyte Z170 HD3 shows 4.5GHz in Bios.

4.5GHz [14-27-10].jpg

I see where Egg has the 7350k now. I'm looking forward to seeing some OC results for the retail version of this chip. Price is 189.99. A little more than what I was expecting from pre debut projections I was reading a couple months ago.

I expect prices on the kaby lake line will go down a little bit this summer as the first flush of demand wears off. Tech gear prices seem to go down in the summer months anyway. And by then the manufacturing process may have become a little more consistent so that we will see more consistency in OC results.

Last edited:
I've got an es so about the same or better than retail... just about to drop it in a board now... :)

Back