• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does clock speed affect to resolution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuston

Hi guys!
I was wondering how does affect gpu clock to playable resolution? I mean, if i can run one game at 720p (0'78Mpixels) 60 fps with a X clock, if i double the clock could i run the same game at same framerate but with double pixel count( 1'6 MPixel)? Or how does it work?
Thanks so much!

Unfortunately its not a linear progression like that. There are so many factors that play into it. The higher the resolution the more work the shaders and lighting effects become. The larger frame requires more memory to store all the data moving around. So basically not necessarily. Depending on the game, graphics settings, and so fourth the card may still be able to do well at the higher resolution though as it might be limited to 60 as it stands now and not being fully utilized.

Thanks for your answer.
and if bottleneck was gpu (not vram), would it be linear?

It takes more then just the GPU clock to render frames. If only the GPU clock cores were increased there is still the underling restrictions in architecture like memory bus speed, memory speed, core efficiency to a higher clock, etcetera.

If you want to do a test to see how GPU clock effects the FPS, lower also raise the GPU clock then test before and after the FPS changes.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer.
Alright so let's change the example: if instead of overclocking a gpu i underclock it so for example i have a gpu that renders a game at 60fps in 1080p (2MPixel) with a core clock X. Now i underclock the gpu to the half, will i have a 60fps at 1 MPixel? In this case memory clock, cpu and everything else is enough for the highest resolution so, would it be a linear progression?

Nothing about modern GPU rendering is a linear progression. There are way too many variables to count. Halving the resolution would like result in 2-3X faster draw rate, but again the number of filters and effects in the scene will drastically alter this.

Fine, i got it, the only way to know it is to test it... thanks for your help!

Back