• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On the hunt for high bandwidth VPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
I am working on a series of online games, and plan to also sell managed game server hosting for the new platform that my studio is adopting. I am having a bit of a hard time finding the hosting I am looking for.

Based on our projections the server for our own in house projects we need around 2TB/month, but also want to capitalize on the investment into the server software that we have written and sell monthly managed servers for other small game developers who do not have time to write all the interlink software themselves, so projecting that a small time dev who is moderately successful should be using up at least 20-100GB/month. Storage is much less of a concern here as total RAM and bandwidth is the primary concern. Anyway the server absolutely needs to be able to run SQL, PHP, and custom written Java software to even be considered.

We are looking for something with salable plans as obviously we are not at this kind of network demand right now, but we want the room to grow without necessarily having to completely migrate to a different service.

Digital Ocean sponsors several of the podcasts I listen to. They also have a lot of useful looking help pages (which you may be well beyond.) They have cheap plans and scale up so it would seem they meet that part of your requirements. I have no idea if they provide good value for the price. They're well enough known (I think) that you've probably already checked them out. If so, I'd be curious to know where they did not meet your needs.

I have no personal experience with them (nor connection.) If you listen to the FOSS podcast on TWiT (and they sponsor the episode) you can get a code for a $10 credit.

Haven't heard of them but Im definitely gonna look it up right now!

Did a couple speed tests to a few of their servers located around the US and it seemed pretty solid. Their price per GB of storage and RAM seems comparable to amazon's network. A little more generous about CPU cores which is nice.
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Still looking for other options. I am in no rush as its about a month out before we are ready to deploy our test server. If RAM usage scales as I imagine it to do so on most of our projects 2-3GB is simply not going to be enough for our usage let alone to service potential clients.

Last edited:
Back