• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Duo E7400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your CPU's default FSB is 266MHz, so that value is reported to the motherboard from your CPU. Manually raising the strap can best be described with a memory analogy. Think of it as loosening the timings in the northbridge. Similar to you changing your RAM timings from 5-5-5 @ 399MHz to 6-6-6 @ 399MHz. I hope that make some sort of sense. :)

FSB termination voltage
North bridge voltage
South bridge voltage
I recall leaving those setting on Auto until I well past 400MHz FSB. I don't remember the defaults right now.

Your CPU's default FSB is 266MHz, so that value is reported to the motherboard from your CPU. Manually raising the strap can best be described with a memory analogy. Think of it as loosening the timings in the northbridge. Similar to you changing your RAM timings from 5-5-5 @ 399MHz to 6-6-6 @ 399MHz. I hope that make some sort of sense. :)

I recall leaving those setting on Auto until I well past 400MHz FSB. I don't remember the defaults right now.

Okay, so actually nothbridges default is 266MHz also and 333MHz is just a good point to stop it if I go above it.

Hello,

I get 2 new ram sticks tomorrow, All i know about them now is these, A-Data, 1066MHz, 2.2V, 5-5-5-15 @ 1066MHz.

I'm able to use those right?

Motherboard supports 2.2Volts?

And I'm not going to use the old ram with the new so, no complications there...

not all Dram IC's work well with higher voltage, you would need to test to find out for sure. a way to do this is using a lower fsb on and using a higher ratio so the cpu is not over clock then the ram is. using the timings at 6-6-6 try using 2.0v with higher dram speed and use memtest86 to see if its stable, run that for 24hrs minimum IMO.

as well at the current speed of 400mhz on the ram thats DDR2-800 so your ram isnt even close to its stock clocks which at a single data rate would be showing 533mhz in cpuz-memory tab. there for up your ram voltage and leave timings at 6-6-6, up your cpu voltage to get a minuim of 1.25v in cpuz. test from there, if it keeps failing in small ffts then its in the cpu cache meaning more cpu voltage.

Any update now that you have the new RAM? Just curious how it is performing.

Running memory at 2.2v can be done, but you need air blowing on the memory at that voltage. I have some PC2-8500 rated at 2.0-2.2v and was able to run 5-5-5 at 1066 with 2.06v. I also have a fan zip-tied to the memory. :)

Any update now that you have the new RAM? Just curious how it is performing.

Running memory at 2.2v can be done, but you need air blowing on the memory at that voltage. I have some PC2-8500 rated at 2.0-2.2v and was able to run 5-5-5 at 1066 with 2.06v. I also have a fan zip-tied to the memory. :)

A bit late would say but anyway...

I tried A-data alone, tried voltages between 1.8-2.2 but couldn't get over 800MHz without crashing. And cpu settings were the same as now and also tried on defaults aaaand also tried to increase the cpu voltage but anytime over 800MHz it crashed immedieately at the startup, might have done something wrong?

So ended up running with same cpu settings and I'm using the old kingstons and a-data together @800MHz 5-5-5-18. And also enabled SpeedStep and got it running steady. At idle it saves the earth from warming up now :D

Back