• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Duo E7400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Muroman

Registered
Hello,

I wanted to ask about my system settings are they safe and good?

Motherboard P5QL-PRO
CPU Core 2 Duo E7400 @2.8GHz
RAMs: Kingston hyperX and some Qimonda from a packet computer. (details in photo)

I guess all other things are irrelevant, but just ask if anything else information is needed.

kuvat.jpg
first.jpg
second.jpg

So what you think about it?

And does it really make difference running prime about 8 hours? I have run now for two times 1 hour(one lots of ram and other test was the small ffts test). And these settings have been there for couple of days, so including some playing.

-Mika

:welcome:

Your overclock looks good from here. But there are a couple things I would change though.
Are EIST and C1E enabled or disabled? I've had good luck keeping it enabled on my old Core2 Duo PCs, but it can cause stability issues for some systems.
If you disable EIST & C1E, I would change the CPU Voltage from Auto to 1.250v. That is your CPU's default voltage, shown in CoreTemp as VID.
Have you tried running your RAM at DDR2-800?

Motherboard P5QL-PRO
CPU Core 2 Duo E7400 @2.8GHz
RAMs: Kingston hyperX and some Qimonda from a packet computer. (details in photo)

I guess all other things are irrelevant, but just ask if anything else information is needed.
How are you cooling the CPU, stock heatsink/fan or an after market cooler?
What is the make, model & watt rating of your power supply?

With Prime95, an hour (or even less) of small fft will help you find your CPU's maximum temperature under load. The Blend test will check out CPU and RAM, and should be run for several hours.

Your overclock looks good from here. But there are a couple things I would change though.
Are EIST and C1E enabled or disabled? I've had good luck keeping it enabled on my old Core2 Duo PCs, but it can cause stability issues for some systems.
If you disable EIST & C1E, I would change the CPU Voltage from Auto to 1.250v. That is your CPU's default voltage, shown in CoreTemp as VID.
Have you tried running your RAM at DDR2-800?

Actually run prime for about 1.5 hour and crashed, so decided to go for this:

EIST and C1E are enabled for now but I'll test more later.
I did have some time for more testing now and tried these updates:

kuvat2.jpg
first2.jpg
second2.jpg
c1e.jpg

How are you cooling the CPU, stock heatsink/fan or an after market cooler?
What is the make, model & watt rating of your power supply?

Aftermarket Scythe mugen cooler and i think it should be okay?

Power supply is EVGA 650W SuperNOVA also good?

Set "CPU Voltage" to manual mode and enable CPU load line calibration. Disable SpeedStep as well...

Set the manual Vcore to 1.3250V...

Your Qimonda RAM has rated timings of 6-6-6 @ 400MHz & you are running 5-5-5 @ 399MHz. Try raising your memory voltage to 1.90v since running tighter timings is basically the same as overclocking RAM. That RAM might need even more volts, but the Kingston is rated to run 5-5-5 @ 400MHz. Mismatched RAM can become very problematic.
What crashed, small fft or blend?

I googled your cooler & it seems to be a nice one. Also EVGA is currently putting their name on some nice power supplies. Good choice with that one. :)

Set "CPU Voltage" to manual mode and enable CPU load line calibration. Disable SpeedStep as well...

Set the manual Vcore to 1.3250V...

What does the CPU load line calibration do?

I don't see reason to raise Vcore manually right now, but have you got a reason for that?

Your Qimonda RAM has rated timings of 6-6-6 @ 400MHz & you are running 5-5-5 @ 399MHz. Try raising your memory voltage to 1.90v since running tighter timings is basically the same as overclocking RAM. That RAM might need even more volts, but the Kingston is rated to run 5-5-5 @ 400MHz. Mismatched RAM can become very problematic.
What crashed, small fft or blend?

I googled your cooler & it seems to be a nice one. Also EVGA is currently putting their name on some nice power supplies. Good choice with that one. :)

Can I instead of raising memory voltage, change the timings to 6-6-6?

small fft crashed.

Vcore set to auto will increase on it's own anyway as your overclock increases. The reason you set it manually is so that it doesn't overvolt unnecessarily and so it doesn't bounce creating instability as the c-states change when speedstep kicks in and out.

You should be running the timings of your slowest ram. That means 6-6-6.

And having the Vcore on "Auto" causes the Vcore to be too high and critical overtemp during tests! (You don't want thermal throttling during Linpack or Prime95!)

What does the CPU load line calibration do?

I don't see reason to raise Vcore manually right now, but have you got a reason for that?

Can I instead of raising memory voltage, change the timings to 6-6-6?

small fft crashed.

Small fft crash means you need to set the vcore to manual, turn off C1E & EIST.

Yes, set the timings to 6-6-6-18 in BIOS, but you still need to raise the memory voltage (1.85-1.95v) to compensate for the 4x2GB sticks of RAM.

At this point I want to say thank you all for good answers!

So I disabled C1E and EIST, enabled CPU line calibration, set timings 6-6-6-18, Vcore 1.225 as it never went higher on AUTO setting. RAM voltage 1.8.

Now I want explanation why RAM voltage is needed to go higher on this scene? And what if I go higher than 399MHz on RAM? what is needed to do? Voltage obviously?

Also done prime small fft, blended both ~2 hours and no errors.

And the full load temps dropped to 54 after these modifications :D

Ive been running my E7300 at these settings and never had a problem
it gets a bit unstable at 3.8+ but probably needs more voltage

Untitled.png

At this point I want to say thank you all for good answers!

So I disabled C1E and EIST, enabled CPU line calibration, set timings 6-6-6-18, Vcore 1.225 as it never went higher on AUTO setting. RAM voltage 1.8.

Now I want explanation why RAM voltage is needed to go higher on this scene? And what if I go higher than 399MHz on RAM? what is needed to do? Voltage obviously?

Also done prime small fft, blended both ~2 hours and no errors.

And the full load temps dropped to 54 after these modifications :D

That is explained in post #5. When you change the timing numbers to lower ones than what they would be at stock you are attempting to make the RAM work faster than it would at stock so it needs little more electrical push. Smaller timing numbers mean the data moving through the RAM module pauses for shorter amounts of time before moving on to the next check point.

Ive been running my E7300 at these settings and never had a problem
it gets a bit unstable at 3.8+ but probably needs more voltage

Assuming you have FSB: DRAM rate 1:1? And motherboard?

That is explained in post #5. When you change the timing numbers to lower ones than what they would be at stock you are attempting to make the RAM work faster than it would at stock so it needs little more electrical push. Smaller timing numbers mean the data moving through the RAM module pauses for shorter amounts of time before moving on to the next check point.

Okay, as the timings are now okay there is no need for raising voltage.

But why did JLK03F150 write like this?

Yes, set the timings to 6-6-6-18 in BIOS, but you still need to raise the memory voltage (1.85-1.95v) to compensate for the 4x2GB sticks of RAM.

Adding voltage to RAM when using all 4 slots depends on your specific motherboard. I have never had a board that didn't require some sort of compensation to run 4 sticks of RAM. I even had a board that would not run 4 matched sticks at all. The same 4 sticks worked fine in a different board though. Just like CPU overclocking, nothing is ever written in stone with RAM and motherboards.

If you don't have any problems running 4x2GB @ 400MHz 6-6-6 with stock voltage, you are lucky (and I'm a little jealous, lol). If you do have a BOSD or lockup, keep mismatched memory at stock voltage in mind. ;)

Adding voltage to RAM when using all 4 slots depends on your specific motherboard. I have never had a board that didn't require some sort of compensation to run 4 sticks of RAM. I even had a board that would not run 4 matched sticks at all. The same 4 sticks worked fine in a different board though. Just like CPU overclocking, nothing is ever written in stone with RAM and motherboards.

If you don't have any problems running 4x2GB @ 400MHz 6-6-6 with stock voltage, you are lucky (and I'm a little jealous, lol). If you do have a BOSD or lockup, keep mismatched memory at stock voltage in mind. ;)

Okaaaay :p Thanks very much for this information too :)

Also if I want to continue raising cpu clock, do you reckon switching to 667mhz ram setting and that way getting the ratio 1:1 or just stay at 800mhz setting and overclok ram also when ratio is 4:5?

I'm not aware of other way changing the ratio, do I miss some knowledge here?

Down clocking the memory frequency to attain higher CPU frequency may or may not gain you anything from a performance perspective and may even hurt in some applications. You would just have to do some bench marking.

Using more memory sticks causes more strain on the components supplying and managing the RAM. Using 4x2gb=8gb is more demanding than using 2x4gb=8gb, for instance. A little extra voltage can help with stability if this is causing issues.

Last edited:
Yes Muroman, if you want to push the CPU farther take to RAM back to 1:1. Try changing the FSB Strap to Northbridge from Auto to 333MHz. It might help you move higher on the CPU.

Down clocking the memory frequency to attain higher CPU frequency may or may not gain you anything from a performance perspective and may even hurt in some applications. You would just have to do some bench marking.

Using more memory sticks causes more strain on the components supplying and managing the RAM. Using 4x2gb=8gb is more demanding than using 2x4gb=8gb, for instance. A little extra voltage can help with stability if this is causing issues.

Okay, will keep in mind.

Yes Muroman, if you want to push the CPU farther take to RAM back to 1:1. Try changing the FSB Strap to Northbridge from Auto to 333MHz. It might help you move higher on the CPU.

I'm sorry I noticed that I want some explain to every change :D But why 333MHz, is it the default or how?

its a mismatched set of ram (4x1GB) one set is a 800mhz one and the other is a 667mhz one
mb is a Gigabyte P45-UD3P

Okay, good information.

Should I keep these on Auto for all time or at some point make changes? And is there default values for these?

FSB termination voltage
North bridge voltage
South bridge voltage

Back