• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How likely is it that I fried my CPU....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elcid79

Early December I do a BIOS update on a friends computer. Update goes fine, but when I boot the computer all of the raid functions are offline. For the life of me I can not figure out how to re-enable them. I pull out the manual, the options they claim are supposed to be there are simply not. I go to the gigabyte website and look up the newest version of the manual, where it says the options are they are not. I contact Gigabyte tech support, and work with them for a very long time trying to re-enable raid. They then tell me that I need to RMA the board. I send the board back, one month and 10 days later it comes home. Apparently, they simply changed the name and location of the raid controls so they were nested somewhere else. So the original tech person was incorrect in his instructions. I wasted a month of my buddies time without a computer, and tons of time disassembling a perfectly functioning computer.

I carefully unpack, and rebuild the computer. After setting everything up I turn the computer on, and I get five audible beeps. Uh, oh.... What happened.

So I do some quick googling, apparently that means a CPU error. Weird.... I pull the waterblock off, and the cpu, and lo and behold MULTIPLE pins are damaged on the main board. Some are shorted between several other pins. One is completely missing, etc. I CERTAINLY didn't do this, I am beyond careful when I build computers, and have done more builds than I can count without ever damaging one. I honestly believe that their support tech managed to do this in testing. All in all one pin was missing, one was smashed, and one shorted to other pins.

Basically, how likely is it that this fried my CPU? Obviously this mainboard is useless, how likely is it that gigabyte will accept responsibility? I have never had to RMA with them for something like this. If the CPU is fried, do I stand any chance of Gigabyte replacing that as well?

I am slightly miffed at myself for not carefully inspecting the pins before reinstallation, but it had a transport cover over the socket so I assumed everything was in order. Why would they ship back a faulty board.

Lastly, at no point during this assembly did I drop anything anywhere near that socket, I removed the cover, carefully inserted the CPU and closed it normally. I am 100% sure that I didn't damage it.

my guess is the cpu would have survived, but the socket will have to be replaced.

I have seen far more stories like this than I ever have about bent pins on a chip. (which are mostly fixable). Intel solved a non problem by creating a widespread issue with their socket design.

You'll never prove it wasn't user error. The CPU is probably fine. You'll be eating the board. There is no vendor out there that warrantys pin damage in the socket.

I personally would have reseated the RAM in case there was poor contact... I wouldn't automatically expect there to be anything other than LEDs lit and the fan spinning when there's bad socket pins...

Getting several bleeps can mean the motherboard is finicky with RAM like an ECS socket 775 motherboard I had...

Yeppp, looks like a bad socket, even when it responded with bleeping... That's just as bad, the only thing worse, would be smoke and flames...

Last edited:
Back