• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Time to Update HTPC (Media PC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The audio/video is carried over hdmi into my Denon 5.1, then video out on hdmi continues on to the TV. I told PowerDVD to just send the audio, don't process it. The Bluray audio was definitely working in surround. I wonder if Netflix will do this too. We'll see once I sit down to watch a movie.

Just let your pre/pro handle surround sound duties. Dolby digital isn't all that relevant. It's a lot like THX certification. Decent equipment doesn't need it and less than decent equipment can't use it effectively.

That doesn't make sense. Through a web browser he is being sent 2 channel PCM audio - so at best he can emulate 5.1 with the receiver, which sounds like garbage compared to true multi channel audio. DD is a digitally compressed 6 (5 speakers + subwoofer) channel source audio that requires something to decode the package on the other side. The computer isn't decoding DD, it passes it thru to the receiver. But if you aren't being sent DD in the first place, there is nothing to decode. Only the app has licensing for DD.
THX cert is a completely separate issue which has nothing to do with multi channel audio, and applies much more to the audio quality and not digital decoding of multi-channel audio.
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2010/01/12/does-thx-certification-matter/

Note that there are other versions of DD that support more channels - DD+ can support up to 7.1.
Also, if you are using windows 7 right now and it's activated, you should not have an issue upgrading as long as you use the accessibility tools (which, hey, who doesn't?). https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Last edited:
That doesn't make sense. Through a web browser he is being sent 2 channel PCM audio - so at best he can emulate 5.1 with the receiver, which sounds like garbage compared to true multi channel audio. DD is a digitally compressed 6 (5 speakers + subwoofer) channel source audio that requires something to decode the package on the other side. The computer isn't decoding DD, it passes it thru to the receiver. But if you aren't being sent DD in the first place, there is nothing to decode. Only the app has licensing for DD.
THX cert is a completely separate issue which has nothing to do with multi channel audio, and applies much more to the audio quality and not digital decoding of multi-channel audio.
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2010/01/12/does-thx-certification-matter/

Note that there are other versions of DD that support more channels - DD+ can support up to 7.1.
Also, if you are using windows 7 right now and it's activated, you should not have an issue upgrading as long as you use the accessibility tools (which, hey, who doesn't?). https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Yup. I dug deeper and realized it may not get a 5.1 signal from Netflix, that's the kicker. Noting that it's a crappy system of doing things doesn't help the OP, either, but I'm throwing it out there. I thought it was simply a matter of decoding the signal with the Denon rather than not even getting the signal.

As an update, yes I'm only getting 3.0 sound in Netflix instead of 5.1 (my app on the DVD player works correctly though). Also the SATA cable died going to my C: drive. Replaced it, BIOS could see it, but it would no longer boot. I just finished a full reinstall. Most of the Win Updates are done & I need to reinstall my Bluray software in the next few days. What a pita!

just gonna throw this out there have you tried to replace the 3v cmos battery on that board? when those go the most random issues come up, like drives disappearing and stuff. on a board from 775 era its pretty common these days for them to be dead by now.

also if you dont do alot of actual computing android boxes make excellent htpc's these days, firetv, nvidia shield ect. they have no issues with netflix surround and all that nothing to bicker with running video in browsers, everything just works.

You should be able to call microsoft about the windows 10 thing, instead of dumping another $100 on an OS. If you still have the serial that was upgraded to 10, you can run the windows 10 installer, and use that serial(I just did this about 4 months ago) after updating windows 10 to the latest version, it should recgonize the key as being a win 10 upgraded key.

Back