• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK Ebay HATCHET JOB! (with pics!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ya I'm with ya on that. You might be able to use some kind of small clamp or if you're using an air cooler make some sort of extended bracket that holds the heat sink down when you tighten it on the cpu idk. And ya Dave in America I would expect nothing but service like that from Ebay. I never said cl was a better idea, I've dealt with selling a Dirt Bike and Buying a Car off cl. I have used offer up a handful of times for certain things and have had great experiences here in Portland meeting the people and seeing the item. It's not Ebay exclusive bro for reasons unnecessary for me to get into, 2016 was literally the first time I have ever done any kind of online shopping. Lol behind the times I guess but ya I've only just used Amazon twice now. And buy all my Vape stuff online because I quit smoking over night with it and it's super cheap on line.

Worse comes to worse use artic silver adhesive

Yeah I saw your board is really similar (and if I can get 4.8ghz out of my 4670 or 4690k... then this will ALL be worth it. :D )

I think I said something to you on another thread. I'm pretty optimistic that everything will work out okay in the end. My main goal with this build was to have something (relatively) powerful and remain under budget. I'm sure I'll have more than achieved that.

Now... next question: Can you run 4ghz 24/7 relatively easy with your MB? And what bios settings do you run? (I still don't understand the difference between the UD3H-BK and the UD5H-BK... but whatever...)

Ultra durable 3 and Ultra durable 5 I think the main thing is the pcb. Better caps, more power phases etc. I had a ud3 board with a 2600k and now that M F took 1.45v for a 4.5 GHz overclock! But I ran it like that for two years with no issue. Cpu stayed under 65c at all times except stress testing or benching. Motherboard temps were good. 4 GHz, No Problem my dude.

That is stock don't get me wrong, if you can remedy an adequate cooling solution for your vrm and chipset. 4 GHz should be a walk in the park.

Lol Well I do NOW!!! No sir I was responding to a member by the user name of DaveB where he referred to someone being Loony if they suggested Craigslist as being a wiser source for buying things being as I the few times I have made purchases from Craigslist or Offer up I met the folks at their homes and saw/verified the items I bought were in 100% working order. And being as I'm not your average Yogie Bear, tho I did not by any means suggest anything of the sort, I do prefer buying most of my stuff in person when it is used stuff rather than rely on some idiot telling me the truth. Also another big reason I haven't done a great amount of online shopping is where I live (Portland Oregon) I can literally find pretty much anything that have wanted to buy thus far in a store that I can price match the item, and return for exchange/refund on the spot if I do so desire. But I think it may have been directly below my first post or directly below the response you made to my first post that I am referring to now.

Hell, eBay won't even let sellers give bad feedback to buyers anymore.

Really? That's good to know! I really feel like it's my duty to give negative feedback to this guy. (Or at least Neutral feedback since he did give me a partial refund...) There's no way he should be walking around with a 98% approval rating.

Yeah... The laws in Germany are a little wonky... So I'm not sure if I would've gotten a full refund... (Though I was almost certainly guaranteed at least a partial refund.) I'm ready to move on to purchasing a processor though and getting this thing up and running. I think this being an exceptional case (i.e. PIECES BROKEN OFF OF THE THING that he did not mention in the description... even if he had pictures of the whole board and he said "Condition as in pictures"... you're not going to see tiny details like that unless you crop the picture in... especially not with the shady lighting HE was using...)

In my report I showed what a new motherboard looks like and how there were clearly pieces broken off of the board he sent me and that there was no mention of that at all in the description.

I agree with you: Ebay takes care of the buyers. Their whole reputation depends on it. But they took care of me as a seller, too. I sold a VERY expensive video camera on Amazon, and I needed the money for when I moved to Spain... The guy got the camera but Amazon held onto my money for like a month and a half. I never sold anything with them again. By contrast, there was a dispute over a cell phone that I sold on Ebay. Unlike THIS guy I took photos of the condition... screenshots of the amount of RAM it had and the version of Android and everything else... and the buyer still complained. (Even after I answered like 12 questions from him before he bought.) Ebay gave him twenty bucks just to shut up and they didn't charge me anything. Looking back I can honestly say that, in over a decade, I never had a problem with their service. (And most of the problems I had with sellers were resolved.)

Yeah I saw your board is really similar (and if I can get 4.8ghz out of my 4670 or 4690k... then this will ALL be worth it. :D )

I think I said something to you on another thread. I'm pretty optimistic that everything will work out okay in the end. My main goal with this build was to have something (relatively) powerful and remain under budget. I'm sure I'll have more than achieved that.

Now... next question: Can you run 4ghz 24/7 relatively easy with your MB? And what bios settings do you run? (I still don't understand the difference between the UD3H-BK and the UD5H-BK... but whatever...)
On stock cooling 4 should be doable . 4.8 is only on high end water with my chip .
4.5 should be fine with 1.3 - 1.35v with a better hsf

Last edited:
On stock cooling 4 should be doable . 4.8 is only on high end water with my chip .
4.5 should be fine with 1.3 - 1.35v with a better hsf

Thanks. I've got a 4690k coming on Thursday. Still futzing around with getting the heatsinks on. I think I'm going to have to go with crazy glue or something on the VRMs and turn the little heatsinks I have on their sides (otherwise they won't fit). Southbridge is surrounded by a bunch of things and I can only fit a tiny heatsink on their. I'll try to pick up some more.

So far? NO GOOD! CPU and System and GPU fans spin for a second... BIOS LED lights up orange for a second... then everything shuts off.

Unseated and reseated the CPU... wiped some excess Artic Silver off of it... So far? NO GOOOD!

Kinda hard to troubleshoot. Most likely... I'd be prone to think it was the MOBO... especially since the LEDs that are supposed to give me an error code or something aren't lighting up at all. (Even though they did in the seller's photos...

Do you think the missing capacitor could be the problem?

If it isn't directly and only associated with the Audio that could perhaps be an issue. But I am not sure. I have had a motherboard before with missing caps that at least booted up but would freeze anytime I tried to do anything. (I thought I had remembered earlier that it was thought to be an Audio related cap)

If it isn't directly and only associated with the Audio that could perhaps be an issue. But I am not sure. I have had a motherboard before with missing caps that at least booted up but would freeze anytime I tried to do anything. (I thought I had remembered earlier that it was thought to be an Audio related cap)

Yeah. That was my theory though. The thermal paste I used was TERRIBLE though and got all over a bunch of stuff. I think I cleaned most of it up... (some of it got on some CPU pins on the mobo... don't know if this was before or while I was cleaning everything.

But the very first time I started the computer (or tried to), it did the fan thing.

I think O can narrow it down to the MOBO or the CPU. I think the PSU is fine.

Yeah. That was my theory though. The thermal paste I used was TERRIBLE though and got all over a bunch of stuff. I think I cleaned most of it up... (some of it got on some CPU pins on the mobo... don't know if this was before or while I was cleaning everything.

But the very first time I started the computer (or tried to), it did the fan thing.

I think O can narrow it down to the MOBO or the CPU. I think the PSU is fine.

What kind of thermal paste was it. If it is conductive, you have a problem. AS5. Non-conductive.

How much did you use?

A pic of the socket would be nice here.

What kind of thermal paste was it. If it is conductive, you have a problem. AS5. Non-conductive.

How much did you use?

A pic of the socket would be nice here.

socket.jpg

Actually it's really crappy paste. Probably conductive. I've been having a HELL of a week. Girlfriend's been gone since before Christmas... FELL DOWN AN ENTIRE FLIGHT OF STAIRS and BROKE HER ARM. Computer's down. I got a roommate coming tomorrow and my extra key has DISAPPEARED!

So I've been having a time. It's under like two pins where you see. Nothing on the pin. I'll probably order a new board if only for testing. But I'm sort of maxxed out on stress right now.

Oh and TOTALLY conductive thermal paste. Not AS5. But yeah. Not needing more stress at the moment. Might even order another MB tonight just to not have to deal.

I've been in the game a LONG time. I had a computer get hit by a bolt of LIGHTING. Another computer the motherboard died when I plugged in the keyboard. There's always ALWAYS something. But at the moment I just want to bring my stress down.

So what I need to know before tomorrow morning is if there's a chance of me saving this thing. Otherwise I'll just order another motherboard.

I don't know Rainless. The socket looks ok.

Did you build it outside the case with just one stick of ram and the CPU installed to see if it would boot?

I don't know Rainless. The socket looks ok.

Did you build it outside the case with just one stick of ram and the CPU installed to see if it would boot?

Don't even HAVE a case :)

I tried one stick of RAM... NO ram... every other combination.

So you're thinking that little bit of paste on the top, in the middle, towards the right wouldn't be a big deal?

EDIT: Let me ask you this? Could it be the RAM? Could the RAM cause this problem? Because I've been trying it with NO ram for a while... then I just tried with one random stick now... and it spun for longer than it had been spinning. So this is a two parter:

1. Would the fans cut off like this if there were no RAM installed?
2. Could faulty RAM cause the mobo to cut off like this?

Because the RAM is VERY old and has been kicking around the bottom of the suitcase.

Or could it be the missing capacitor? (actually TWO now, another one fell off.)

Last edited:
It could be but Google Characteristics of conductive thermal paste in socket and see what it brings up. Considering the way that board got shipped to you and the amount of information the seller withheld before purchase it is really hard to say. It is really hard for me have a lot of confidence in that board. You got yourself a decent i7 there tho and I know first hand that to me at least, sometimes spending that extra hundred or so is worth the knowing and the elimination of stress later. Money comes and goes, stress will kill ya lol if you're to the point where that's all need to complete the build is a working board it may worth hittin the classys and pickin a better one out.

Found my answer in this photo... I asked myself: "What's that BIG cable going across the board?"

s-l1600.jpg

LOL it happens man. That speaks volumes to where your heads at with all that's going on. Hope things get better.

Back