• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK Ebay HATCHET JOB! (with pics!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The ATX 12v wire? Was that not plugged in?

THAT... was not plugged in...

LOL it happens man. That speaks volumes to where your heads at with all that's going on. Hope things get better.

Oh it's already gotten better... THE MOTHERBOARD WORKS! (and the PSU, and ram, and all that...)

Any idea how to get the onboard HDMI going? I've got a 960 GTX but (apparently) I only have one 6-pin connector on my PSU (If it's not one thing...)

I tried just plugging in the HDMI... but I got no signal. And unfortunately I don't have a VGA or DVI cable handy...

Drivers bud. Glad it's working. Watch those vrm and pch temps.

Wait with no os yet you have no hdmi?

I was just hoping to get to bios... My video card has two 6 pins and I only have one six on my PSU. So it tells me (on the screen) to connect the other power cables. The onboard HDMI doesn't seem to do anything.

No molex to 6 pin adapter?

Nope! Used to have a ton of various adapters laying around... but I'm a long way from home.

Just order a 6 to 8 pin adapter. (Not even sure that's the right thing...)

You only have one cable on the entire Psu that has a 6 pin? Damn, ya need an adapter or new Psu. That sounds extraordinarily old to seriously have one 6 pin coming off the entire thing. Maybe try clear cmos with a jumper. Since it's used the settings in bios may already be to have onboard disabled. Pop the coin battery out and jump the Cmos pins (with anything-a car key even just touch them) for ten seconds and try again. Delete or f2 or f12 to get into Bios.

Am I the only one who noticed there is also a capacitor missing? Next to the hole where the op amp is, the empty spot next to the Leaning Tower of Capacitor??? I gave up ePray years ago. No way, no how, will I ever deal with that junk site again. Craigslist, only locally. ebay was good in the early days (bought a lot of bike parts) but they went straight to hell years ago and they show no signs of coming back that I see. The only other site even marginally like it that I use is Audiogon, because I have an audio addiction that annoys neighbors and makes me smile. :) Otherwise I buy retail or hit the forum classified. Since my only interests now are audio and computers, I shop here or my audio sites for used.

edit:Geez. Apparently I missed an entire page of this thread. Ignore my cap panic. I should go to bed, as I've apparently already gone to sleep.....

edit:Geez. Apparently I missed an entire page of this thread. Ignore my cap panic. I should go to bed, as I've apparently already gone to sleep.....

You also missed the TITLE of the thread! hahahahahha!

You've probably had (almost) as rough a week as I had!

Well she's up and running... though I do find it kind of troubling that the HDMI out on the MB doesn't seem to be working. So I borrowed a DVI cable from a friend (haven't used one in YEARS) and that seemed to get the job done. I checked all the BIOS settings I could find. Internal graphics are enabled and I didn't see any separate settings for HDMI...

bios_information2.jpg
temps2.jpg

SHE LIVES! So what do you guys think of the temps and all that?

I have a 6 to 8 pin adapter coming on Monday... So hopefully that will get my GTX 960 going...

EDIT: It's definitely not the most stable thing in the world. It took a couple of tries to get it started before I took those pics... Though once I did get it started it seemed to run just fine until I turned it off. I won't know anything for sure until I manage to boot into windows.

Last edited:
Not bad bud. Pch looks good at idle. Download hw monitor or hwinfo64, (The latter freezes with me so I have to use the first but a lot of ppl recommend it) to keep watch temps under load as it will show all your Motherbaord temps as well as well pretty much all the info you need. I would check the rating on the surrounding caps and see if you can get one in there. I don't see vrm temps listed in that pick but hopefully they are all good and you get her stable.

Not bad bud. Pch looks good at idle. Download hw monitor or hwinfo64, (The latter freezes with me so I have to use the first but a lot of ppl recommend it) to keep watch temps under load as it will show all your Motherbaord temps as well as well pretty much all the info you need. I would check the rating on the surrounding caps and see if you can get one in there. I don't see vrm temps listed in that pick but hopefully they are all good and you get her stable.

Thanks. Just downloaded them both. Have to install via USB because I haven't gotten the wifi to work yet. (Don't know if I have the right drivers installed...) I've got Intel Lan and Killer LAN. Don't know which contains the WiFi drivers. But I just downloaded something called "BIGLAN" so we'll see...

Seems pretty stable once it gets going. I'm already ordering the caps. I've already cleared space of them on the board (removed the remnants of the legs of the old caps. Got some fresh solder ready.) Boards still working after all that (Guess it really IS Ultra-Durable!) so I guess I'll be good to go soon...

EDIT: Answer me this: Do boards not COME with wi-fi anymore? Am I supposed to buy a USB dongle or something?

Last edited:
EDIT: Answer me this: Do boards not COME with wi-fi anymore? Am I supposed to buy a USB dongle or something?

LOL.... some do not this one though.

Strangely enough, your mobo will act as a WiFI hotspot for your house and some kind of cloud server as well.

cloud.JPG

You could go with a dongle, but I am not a big fan of them. I prefer a PCIe card.

Of course they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

TP link.jpg

Not necessary in the end. Because I'm a BADASS network engineer, I of course had a portable router with OpenWRT laying around doing nothing. So I just switched it to "Client" mode and connected it to my Access Point. Problem solved!

It seems two of the RAM slots aren't working (getting a C0 error on the MB when I try to use them...) That could be bad ram... or it could be the paste I got on those two pins... Could be literally ANYTHING... so I'm stuck with 2GB of RAM for the moment. Temps seem nominal though I don't have anything tougher than Age of Empires II HD to push this 4ghz 4690k... I've had the system restart on me a couple of times and sometimes it hard to get the MB to boot. Hopefully that will end when I replace the caps.

Heck ya Buddy! I'm glad to see everything is working out for you. I got bored with my PC so I ordered a De-Lid tool today, gonna get her back on the Operating Table next week lol.

Just got all caught-up with my Ebay seller reviews.

I'm still FURIOUS at this guy. The fact that he said the item functioned "perfectly" when, in reality, there were TWO CAPACITORS and a sound chip broken off of the thing, and the HDMI port doesn't work, and two of the RAM slots don't work... and he clearly would've had to power it up a number of times to get it to run without the capacitors, so he did that and took a screen shot (with ONE stick of ram in the board) to show that it "worked."

And his defense when I asked for a refund was "Oh I put that the condition was as shown in the photos..." Well NO dummy! Not when you don't point out things that you aren't likely to see in the DARK... LOW RESOLUTION pictures that he submitted. And even then... TWO RAM SLOTS weren't working!

So I don't think I've given negative feedback to ANYBODY in like the last ten years... if ever... but there's NO WAY that this guy should be walking around with a 98% approval rating. Especially considering all the other people he screwed over. (Somebody bought a laptop from him... and it did work... but died a week after it arrived. Other people bought things in similar states of being smashed as my motherboard.)

So even with the partial refund I felt I couldn't give him a pass with a neutral feedback. I don't give a damned if he gives ME a negative feedback. He'll be my ONLY one. And I'd rather take the hit so that, hopefully, somebody reads my review and decides not to buy from him.

It's a shame really. On the one hand

2. Private Verkäufer können sich nicht auf einen Ausschluss der Gewährleistung berufen.
Private sellers can't exclude warranty.

if the reclamation is valid (as in your case). However you are on the other hand you are exposed to the mercy of the seller to offer you a refund, otherwise you're pretty much left with leaving a negative review.

Did you by any chance pay per paypal (I didn't read the whole thread, sorry)? You could open a case with them and try to get a refund.

It's a shame really. On the one hand

if the reclamation is valid (as in your case). However you are on the other hand you are exposed to the mercy of the seller to offer you a refund, otherwise you're pretty much left with leaving a negative review.

Did you by any chance pay per paypal (I didn't read the whole thread, sorry)? You could open a case with them and try to get a refund.

Well I got a partial refund of like 65%... so the motherboard is worth the 20 euros I paid for it... to me. But I do believe... if I wasn't satisfied... Ebay would've refunded me the entire amount. Because the Private Seller protections don't apply when the item is not as described. (e.g. If you ordered a motorcycle and a flashlight arrived in the mail. Or you ordered a flashlight listed as "einwandfrei" and only the top half with the lightbulb but not the bottom half with the handle and the power switch arrived.) Then the seller cannot invoke immunity. (Personally they can, but then Ebay is liable and they would have to refund you as per their buyer protection policy.)

And I did pay with Paypal. I try to always pay with paypal. The whole "Ubersicht" (bank transfer) thing scares the **** out of me. And I've only ever bought with that when accidentally doing a "Buy it Now."

No... This was more about his 98% approval rating than anything. If you look at his neutral and negative reviews he's sold a LOT of broken things. He's one of those junk dealers that will get something working long enough to take a screen shot and then sell it on ebay. And he probably offers EVERYBODY a partial refund when they contest... thinking they won't give him negative feedback if they got a good deal.

I'm not the one.

Back