• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 750 doesn't seem to overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

I'm trying to get MSi Afterburner to overclock my 750 (never had this issue before btw) and it won't apply the settings. Memory overclocks just fine but core clock won't budge, and is actually stuck at 850MHz which, for my model, is UNDER the base clock. Temps read at 43-45c...any ideas as to why the overclock won't apply, and it's in fact UNDER-clocking? It jumps to the proper base clock of 1059 very briefly when I first start the program but then falls down to 850.

Latest drivers? If yes, tried rolling back?

Latest version of MSI AB? If yes, have you tried a different program?

Yes, latest AB version. Not tried anything else as of yet.

Latest drivers, yet to try a re-install or rollback. I don't know where I would even start with a rollback though, I took the card out of commission in November-ish to tear down my old system and sell it. I didn't notice the issue until the past week or so.

There is an option to allow beyond official overclocking settings on my old R7 240, Maybe there will be a setting like this for your GPU too.

Edit: I reffered to a setting in MSI AB.

That is to EXTEND overclocking limits (clocks listed)... are you saying it unlocked the ability to overclock for your card?

That is to EXTEND overclocking limits (clocks listed)... are you saying it unlocked the ability to overclock for your card?

It unlocked to overclock it beyond the CCC limit.
There might be a setting to unlock overclocking for that GTX750 in the settings, I didnt really meant checking if there is a beyond limits overclocking option, Just him to check if there is a setting LIKE that.

So I reinstalled the same driver, decided to ditch Afterburner and switch to PrecisionX and also try something called nVidia inspector. Both programs show the maximum possible clock changes in accordance with the OC but current clock rate stays at 849. I've chalked this up to GPU load not being significant enough, although I cranked the settings on Minecraft from low to High and the load went up but yet current clock rate never did???Kinda confused right now...

Last edited:
So I reinstalled the same driver, decided to ditch Afterburner and switch to PrecisionX and also try something called nVidia inspeactor. Both programs show the maximum possible clock changes in accordance with the OC but current clock rate stays at 849. I've chalked this up to GPU load not being significant enough, although I cranked the settings on Minecraft from low to High and the load went up but yet current clock rate never did???Kinda confused right now...

Sounds like when my eVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti had the wrong BIOS... Are you getting stuttering?

Does there appear to be phantom TDP throttling in Heaven 4.0? (When looking at Nvidia Inspector with Heaven 4.0 running)

On occasion I'll see sudden second or two second stops, usually when opening an interface, and the FPS drops considerably, from over 100 to below 50.

EDIT: Not sure what to look for to tell that's happening. Temps, power usage?

Last edited:
Running it right now and I don't see any fluctuation of clock speed, in fact it went up to 1184 which, with my current OC, is supposed to be the max possible clock.

You are testing 3D clocks/loads with Minecraft? Why not MS Word?

Being serious, minecraft doesn't spin up my son's r7 270 to 3D clocks... try something with a little more uummph.

Now this is interesting:

When I restarted my computer (it'd been a day since i last shut it down, no updates or anything were made) Inspector apparently had not been set to apply overclocks with start up. when I launched it to change this it said it was running at proper base clocks, but upon OC application it went back down to 850. Is the card giving bad info to these programs upon OC?

Booted up Darksiders 2 and GPU load jumped to 75%, core clock went to almost 1400, seems about right with the OC settings. I guess there was never anything wrong in the first place? Or just an issue with AB. :shrug:

Booted up Darksiders 2 and GPU load jumped to 75%, core clock went to almost 1400, seems about right with the OC settings. I guess there was never anything wrong in the first place? Or just an issue with AB. :shrug:
Were you looking at the graph in MSI AB and it never changed clocks? I think it was minecraft not putting a large enough GPU load man.. try minecraft again and see if it still exhibits the same behavior.

That's what I meant by nothing was ever wrong. I think you're right, Minecraft just wasn't stressing it enough to get it to go into quote-unquote "OC territory" with clocks and it even was stressing it so little the GPU was underclocking itself because it had the headroom to do so. No point in using power when it's not necessary, right?

That's why I got a 1070. Nothing plays like Minecraft at 874 fps. :rofl:

Sorry, I like Minecraft jokes and that was just sitting there. Glad you got it sorted out!

Back