• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From what it looks like, there are no plans to make a FC block for your particular card by EK or Bitspower. There are no plans for my card's waterblock either by EK, however Bitspower has one for me but it's quite pricey. Only solution for you is either an AIO Hybrid kit from EVGA and hope you can make it work, or a universal waterblock.

All my searches turned up ziltch in that dept.

From what it looks like, there are no plans to make a FC block for your particular card by EK or Bitspower.

That's what I was afraid of. I did find an active chip cooler with passive cooling for the rest of the card from Alphacool, but the air cooler on the Xtreme is pretty... extreme, it manages to keep temps around 60c under load at full boost with 91c set as the target, and the fan noise isn't actually that bad in an open case.

And the Alphacool cooler, not sure how I feel only passively cooling the rest of the card.

Might have to pair it with an Xtreme waterforce in a way the Windforce can still get air. Unless there's a way to convince Gigabyte to sell their Xtreme Waterforce waterblock separately or ship me a spare if I just buy the waterblock one.

Seriously don't want to drop money on two cards with compatible waterblocks.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Yeah the Alphacool cooler is just a large heatsink. The VRMs on the card will start dumping some serious heat and you need some really good airflow over the Alphacool sink. The one thing I dislike about the Alphacool unit is it's just a universal waterblock in the center surrounded by a giant heatsink.

You're better off using the EK universal waterblock and attach your own sinks to the key areas.

I'm running a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme, and plan to get another with plans to watercool them both seeing as how they're going be to so close to each other.

I can only seem to find GTX 1080 G1 waterblocks, are there any for the 1080 Xtreme?

Your best bet ever when shopping for NVidia graphics cards is to always by the founders edition cards if you think at some point you may ever want to water cool it. EK and BitsPower will always support them.

Your best bet ever when shopping for NVidia graphics cards is to always by the founders edition cards if you think at some point you may ever want to water cool it. EK and BitsPower will always support them.

The problem with that is that not everybody wants an FE card. I, for one, didn't want an FE card. First off they're more expensive believe or not, second they don't clock as good as AIB ones. I decided on the card in my sig for 3 reasons:

1) Higer Clock speeds out the box (stock)
2) Air cooling/noise ratio
3) Cost

I got my card for a cost of 35% lower than an FE card and it doesn't howl away in my case under full gaming loads.

The "passive" portion of the Alphacooler block is actually connected to the cold plate on the water block, so it's more of a semi-passive design.

There's a lot more thermal mass there than the stock VRM cooling configuration already, it'll keep everything nice and safe... Grab one!

The problem with that is that not everybody wants an FE card. I, for one, didn't want an FE card. First off they're more expensive believe or not, second they don't clock as good as AIB ones. I decided on the card in my sig for 3 reasons:

3) Cost

I got my card for a cost of 35% lower than an FE card and it doesn't howl away in my case under full gaming loads.

All great points
Problem with reference cards is the cheap nVidia PCB design and power section
The custom high end cards bring better PCB design and additional power phases for chip as well as memory
Better quality components all around as well as a better BIOS. Many have two or three BIOS's as well

EK typically makes a Lightning and Classified , I can imagine a SOC / Extreme full cover would be hard to secure

Universal my be your only recourse

3) Cost

Hey, I'm just explaining why those companies support FE cards. Essentially because it is easier to produce products intended for the. Plus, with AIB cards is that there are so many different variations that it becomes to burdensome for aftermarket manufacturers to make so many different products that may or may not sell.

So, in a nutshell, my comment is still valid. If you want to water cool, buy founders addition cards or research first as to what the waterblock options are before buying your AIB card. I guarantee that you will find little to no AIB options.

All great points
Problem with reference cards is the cheap nVidia PCB design and power section
The custom high end cards bring better PCB design and additional power phases for chip as well as memory
Better quality components all around as well as a better BIOS. Many have two or three BIOS's as well

EK typically makes a Lightning and Classified , I can imagine a SOC / Extreme full cover would be hard to secure

Universal my be your only recourse

You are incorrect. The Founders Editions cards use an Nvdia boards and reference standard. AIB cards do not and will very greatly from card to card based on the actual components used on the AIB cards. AIB cards, are not better than FE cards. They are actually in some cases worse.

Remember that with these AIB cards, the manufacturers don't follow a certified reference design. They make their own. Adding extra power phases don't make a card better. Electronics only use power that needed. Adding extra parts introduces electronic noises in a circuit. Creating and implementing different bios doesn't make them better. Using a cheaper designed with more non standardized parts doesn't make the card better. In fact, the only real quality indicator of a card is the basis of its design. This in a nutshell is what makes the Founders Edition cards a cut above all available.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're gravely mistaken if you feel the FE cards are better than the Classified/Lightning.

This in a nutshell is what makes the Founders Edition cards a cut above all available.

Wow. I guess I should get rid of my HOF and snap up a FE quick. Apparently that 12 phase VRM doesn't actually allow for higher, more stable clock speeds. And the three 90mm fans aren't as good as one blower. :screwy:

Only solution for you is either an AIO Hybrid kit from EVGA and hope you can make it work, or a universal waterblock.
This seems odd?
LIMIT 2 PER HOUSEHOLD.

@ jbhowlesr

I have benched more cards than I care to remember, Please let me assure you there is a significant difference.
While you are correct with companies such as XFX making cheaper non reference boards to lower their costs, please let me assure you companies like Galaxy, eVGA, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI make multitudes of cards
They are typically marketed toward specific users. High end cards such as the Classified, Matrix, HOF & Lightnings not only are designed to run faster and are able to handle move voltage they are also designed to run cooler with less noise.
They also in every instance use better components, again running with less noise, heat and with longer life spans.
They also typically have a community following that creates custom BIOS files for even better performance with additional voltage and head room.
You may want to do some research on this as it seems you may have been misinformed

http://videocardz.com/60547/comparison-of-custom-geforce-gtx-1080-pcbs

Last edited:
You're gravely mistaken if you feel the FE cards are better than the Classified/Lightning.

@ jbhowlesr

I have benched more cards than I care to remember, Please let me assure you there is a significant difference.
While you are correct with companies such as XFX making cheaper non reference boards to lower their costs, please let me assure you companies like Galaxy, eVGA, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI make multitudes of cards
They are typically marketed toward specific users. High end cards such as the Classified, Matrix, HOF & Lightnings not only are designed to run faster and are able to handle move voltage they are also designed to run cooler with less noise.
They also in every instance use better components, again running with less noise, heat and with longer life spans.
They also typically have a community following that creates custom BIOS files for even better performance with additional voltage and head room.
You may want to do some research on this as it seems you may have been misinformed

I'm out of thanks, so, QFT!!

Back