• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus and QX9650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cobra2Rebel

Hello all, old school SOF2 player here. Tells you how far back I go. No real idea about over clocking either. First off, I have a Asus maximus formula, qx9650, 660ti, and 8gb ddr2 1066 memory. Just added 4 more gb of memory and went from a e8400 to the qx9650. Have a Velociraptor 300 gb HD on the way. Most of you I'm sure are going to say that I'm an idiot for trying to do what I'm doing but for me it's sentimental. With that being said, my youngest son (9) really wants to play Just Cause 3 on the PC. He's a PC gamer like his daddy was, and not a console gamer like my other 3 sons. LoL
I want to be able to overclock a little on my setup and was wanting some advice as to all the settings I could change without pushing the limits. Aftermarket heatsink (heatpipes) but low rpm fan. I would take a pic if I could figure out how to post it as I'm on my cell. Anyway, any help and /or comments (polite ones) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oh yeah, Silverstone case and Kingwin 1000 watt.

You are going to be hard pressed to play JC3 well with a 660Ti and that older CPU, honestly. Im sure high will work but turning down some other goodies too (1080p). You will need to overclock the snot out of both items to help.

Here is a guide you can look at which gives you are great backround and starting point. Give it a read through, maybe two, and push on, see where you are stuck.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...lock-C2Q-(Quads)-and-C2D-(Duals)-A-Guide-v1-1

In the meantime, post up some CPUz screenshots of the First screen, memory and SPD tabs so we can see what is currently shaking. Your specific cooler and load temps during a stress test (say Prime95 - Small FFT or AIDA 64) would also be tremendously helpful to help you. :)

Minimum Just Cause 3 System Requirements:
OS: Windows Vista SP2, Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit operating system)
CPU: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8GHz 2.93GHz or AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz.
RAM: 6GB.
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 (2GB) or AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB)
DX: DirectX 11.
HDD: 45GB.

About to take some screenshot in a few, but from what I have read you can push a 9650 to close to an i5. I may be wrong, but just what I have read. Various opinions

- - - Updated - - -

Win7,sp1 btw

Maybe an i5 2500K at stock versus QX9650 at 4GHz+...but it's getting a little long in the tooth as well and can show its age in many cpu heavy titles.

About to take some screenshot in a few, but from what I have read you can push a 9650 to close to an i5. I may be wrong, but just what I have read. Various opinions

- - - Updated - - -

Win7,sp1 btw

I would play Just Cause 3, what do you have to loos trying it?

Back