• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time building an Intel rig (Maybe)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

So I'm thinking of moving over to an i5 7600k w/ the Asus Rog Strix board. It says it supports up to DDR4 2133 right off the bat, but all the way up to DDR4 4000 (O.C.). So, if I was to buy say a 2x8 set of DDR4 3200, or 4000 or in between - will I need to do anything special to get it to run at it's advertised speed? Will it downclock. I know intel has some XMP stuff which is confusing the hell out of me.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!

You will just enable xmp. It couldn't be any less confusing or easier than that!

I would get ddr4 3200 cl15 and not any faster. ;)

Man I been around here for a while and you've always given good simple advice. Thank you for the information!

I've heard 3200 is the sweet spot on intel, not sure if I understood why. Is anything above it a waste?

Past 3200 Mhz, the price goes up quite a bit but performance really doesn't. Memory is typically not a bottle neck.

Yea 3200 is rocking and if not up to speed with overclocking Intel Asus has a ridiculously easy auto overclocking feature.

Back