• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound cuts out while playing games, Chrome crashes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

Sound cuts out while playing games then I have to quit and start the game again for the sound to work, also Chrome crashes some times. This all started when I did a clean install of windows 10. Things I tried are 2 more clean installs of windows 10 and chrome beta, no joy.

See if it happens on a different browser... this would tell you if its browser related.

Try a different audio driver, older if its the latest.

What does the error log show you happened?

I was wondering I selected delete instead of format in windows 10 setup, should I select format?

I will try once more later to do a clean install using format. I thought when delete is selected the drive formatted when setup is selected, that procedure is what I have done since Microsoft has had the delete option? I have weird things going on BF4 freezes and unfreezes sometimes also.

So much for wanting to clean up my OS now it works just great, I should of left it alone :shrug:

The other option is new at that point, right? New sets up the partition, but I'm not sure it formats.

Ya thats how I have always done my installs too. Say there are three partitions. Just say 100mb is drive 0: reserved, system drive 0: 189gb recovery drive 0: 500mb. I'm just making these up. You delete everyone of them and you are left with one final one lets say 250gb. You select it and select install it formats before it installs. I have never deleted all partitions then formated then installed. It formats for you.

I literally just wiped and did a fresh install on a buddys hp pavillion there were like 5 partitions that came OEM on it. Two days ago I deleted each on individually and when there was one left-drive 0: 946gb or something on a 1tb drive I selected it, selected install and it said windows will format disc before installation.

Are you sure you dl and installed all your motherboard drivers and such?

Last edited:
If you delete the partitions, isn't the only selection new? After you hit new, only then can you install. All formatting and partition creation are done beofre hitting install. Hard to format something that doesn't have a partition, right? Am I off here? I just did this but really don't recall, lol!

@ wingman - any reason you skipped the suggestions in the thread and just blew out windows?

No when you delete each one all that will be left in partition 0. You just hit next after that. You only hit new if you want to create a second partition. Each time you delete one the main drive 0 just gets bigger until all thats left is drive zero-unallocated space _ _ gb

If he's already done two fresh installs it sounds like a Driver issue or sometimes you need to run Windows update after a fresh install.

Last edited:
You cant install on unallocated space I thought? Unallocated space, the word itself, means there isn't a partition on it... how can you install anything on that???!! The only question in my mind is if 'new' formats and I don't think it does...

I think I need some rest and look at this in the AM, lol!

Edit: seems like hitting next just sets it up like default (creating all partitions). But if you click new, it seemingly won't do that????
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Yeah.. I'm pooped...lol!

Last edited:
wingman - any reason you skipped the suggestions in the thread and just blew out windows?
The reason I tried another clean install was because of all the problems. When I select delete on advanced install the only other options is new or next. so I clicked Next to let the installer auto-create/format only the necessary partitions and begin install.

After the third clean install the sound in games does not cut out, also BF4 is not freezing. I do have the same problem with Chrome crashing to desktop without error, when I reopen Chrome it says chrome closed unexpectedly would you like to restore last session, that is why I think it is windows 10. I tried uninstalling chrome and reinstalling no joy. Chrome works fine on my other PC, also I didn't find any known recent problems with chrome when I checked.:shrug:

I'm testing another browser however it takes a long time for failure with Chorme so it could take a while.

My chipset driver is installed also windows 10 is updated. All the last installs I did are one program at a time, that seem to help, no multitasking installs.

Good man. Ya I used to multi-install but these days I do one at a time. TBH I've been considering the same thing ever since I got my oc dialed in because at first I installed the AI suite because I thought it controlled the lighting on my motherboard which it does not and it's white out of the box instead of blue, then I left it to use fan expert until I learned about speed fan. But since I uninstalled it I've been considering a fresh install just been too lazy. I just picked up the newset Opera browser, I had forgotten about it but I like it better than Chrome maybe give it a shot.

Edit: And the most stable strain of Chrome I've found is Chrome Canary. So if you're dead set on that go to the actual Chromium Binaries and download Chromium 64 bit stable before Google slaps their name on it or get Chrome Canary 64 stable.

Thanks for the suggestion on what chrome version is stable, however my Chrome version 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit) was stable before I did a clean install. On google chrome help forum it was suggested to turn off anti Virus, then do a clean install of chrome, so I'm trying that.

I always delete all partitions and that leaves me with one large "unallocacted" space that the Windows installer partitions and formats automatically.

Well I tried what Google chrome help forum suggested to do and that did not help for the infrequent Chrome crash to desk top.

So fresh install..chipset, ME, GPU, and NIC drivers...free chrome DL/install and it still does it?

You need to find where it goes wrong...

Works fine for me in fully updated 10.

Well uninstall it and try one of the ones I suggested and see if it works Canary is probably your best bet out of the two, its worth shot. And Opera is a good all around Browser as well. I really like the Chromium Binaries from the Dev channel too.

But also make sure there are no updates that need to be done too.

Back