• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10GB Fiber Home Network upgrade, want help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trekky

My switch is showing major signs of death, ports have stopped working and gone into error mode, etc.
so i am starting to look for a new (to me) one. Currently i have a Cisco 2970g which is 24 ports at 1gb
I can not afford a full 10gb switch so i have to stay with 1gb for the time. however i want to add 10gb to my server which is in the same rack as my network devices.

i am looking at a CISCO WS-C3560E-48TD-S which has two 10 GB up link expansion ports on ebay for about $120
CISCO WS-C3560E-48TD-S
( i know this is out of stock but i can find others)

so i need to add fiber modules (because 10gb copper modules are too pricey still)
so i was thinking these, but dont know if they will work
(EDIT)

I Talked to a person at work who does fiber and he said you sould get LRM or SC fiber
PCIe Card
Cable

SC
SFP
X2 Module for switch

LRM (better)
SFP
X2 Module for switch

thx

Last edited:
Why do you want 10 G Ethernet?

Also - the "uplink" ports are for switch-to-switch so that you can have a high speed trunk between switches.

Why do you want 10 G Ethernet?

Also - the "uplink" ports are for switch-to-switch so that you can have a high speed trunk between switches.

Same reason I've been thinking abut upgrading to stupid overkill network speeds at home, because we can, but that's just a guess.

Same reason I've been thinking abut upgrading to stupid overkill network speeds at home, because we can, but that's just a guess.

So True!!, If i am buying a switch i want to feel like i got an upgrade!

i know what you mean, i thought about the same thing, much cheaper to use a 1gb switch and use multiple trunked ports in conjunction with teamed nic connections on the server.

i wonder if you can do those copper sfp's with the MELLANOX card

the twinax 10gig cisco ones. you should be able to get those for cheap.... unless your switch does not support sfp+ then you're going to have to go with fiber and transceivers.

Back