• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow boot time on SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

My specs are listed below. I have ran CCleaner and optimized all my registry and start up programs. It takes 2 full minutes to reboot. AHCI is set in bios. Any suggestions?

What's taking the time.

Bios > Windows loading?
Or windows loading > Desktop?

Bios = unrelated to your SSD specifically/windows install most likely
Windows = could be time for a fresh software install?

Hi @BlueNostromo!

Additionally to what @Mjolnir suggested you can also try to use different SATA cables and to plug the SSD in another port of the motherboard - sometimes that can fix the slowness issue. Also, having more free space on the drive can improve the timing (assuming that your is fuller than 90%, of course).

Hope this helps and keep us posted! :)

I know this is a long shot, but I found when I first converted to an SSD, I had a slow boot time, everything else was great, and eventually I found the issue to be an external drive, a Western Digital MyBook, it was causing Windows to pause at the loading screen polling it. If you have any external drives via USB, unplug them and retry, this was so frustrating for me, literally the only way to make it boot faster is to leave it unplugged during boot, and plug back in after boot. In the end I yanked the drive out of it and put it in a NAS and gave up entirely.

It's windows which is taking a long time. I can just reinstall Windows keeping all data right?

I know this is a long shot, but I found when I first converted to an SSD, I had a slow boot time, everything else was great, and eventually I found the issue to be an external drive, a Western Digital MyBook, it was causing Windows to pause at the loading screen polling it. If you have any external drives via USB, unplug them and retry, this was so frustrating for me, literally the only way to make it boot faster is to leave it unplugged during boot, and plug back in after boot. In the end I yanked the drive out of it and put it in a NAS and gave up entirely.

+1 just having my phone plugged into a usb port would make mine hang for a long time

This is the CrystalDisk Mark results of my boot drive.

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 404.367 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 393.141 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 272.044 MB/s [ 66417.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 195.563 MB/s [ 47744.9 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 361.562 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 358.395 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 32.116 MB/s [ 7840.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 81.521 MB/s [ 19902.6 IOPS]

I would almost guess that part of it is partition alignment. You can open AS-SSD or Anvil Storage Utilities and either of those programs will show you if the alignment is good or not. You will see a number, in this jpg at the upper left it says Plextor (my drive brand) below you will see partition type- below that will be a number- mine says "580608 and OK"- if your partition isnt a good alignment it will say "BAD"
If you cloned a drive that would be highly suspect alignment.png

Is there a system log you can examine? That might identify something that the boot process is waiting for or timing out on or at the least, might tell you where the time is spent.

Is there any way to see what is causing it to hang? It sits at the Windows icon with the loading symbol for quite some time.

sometimes changing the CSM setting or the secure boot setting can make it boot faster

This was a huge issue for me. Without the USB HDD attached, boot times were about 13 seconds. With the USB HDD attached, it was often two minutes or more. Never found a solution that worked, other than not having any USB storage devices plugged in during boot up.

I tried with no USB devices other than my keyboard and mouse. No change. My drives are connected in 5.25" hot swap bays all on separate Sata connections though. I cannot change secure boot or CSM settings.

Can you remove all drives except the one with the OS on it to eliminate any of those?

I would use crystaldiskinfo to check to see if any of your drives have smart issues. should be a quick and easy check

Both of my SSD's have 100% health status and leaving only my OS drive in changed nothing.

Last edited:
Back