• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Infra Red Camera Pictures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I got this back on Christmas, but am just getting around to posting. An infrared camera that mounts to your smart phone. This thing is pretty cool!

First, a picture of my main system:
- CPU AIO, radiator mounted as intake in front of case (push/pull)
- 2 x Titan X GPU with EVGA 1080 hybrid mod, radiator mounted as intake in front of case (push/pull)
- 2 x 140 mm intake on bottom
- 2 x 140 mm exhaust on top
- 1 x 140 mm exhaust in back

IMG_1313.JPG

Second, a picture of my "Little Folder" server system:
- Air cooled CPU
- Air cooled EVGA 1080 FTW
- 2 x 140 mm intake in front
- 1 x 140 mm exhaust in back

IMG_1312.JPG

And, some other cool pictures!

My "thermal footprints" on my tile floor:

IMG_1303.JPG

My son-in-law:

IMG_1306.JPG

My wife's mouth:

IMG_1315.JPG

I'll post more pictures as I do more thermal analysis.

Nice. I borrow one from work, but been meaning to get my own for a while. The old android one is micro-USB, and they're about to release (if they haven't already) a USB-C version which I'll need for my phone.

Yeah - looks a lot better on my phone and PC...looks worse when I posted it.

Does it actually read surface temps when it's on your phone or just air? It doesn't look like it read and components at all for the pc shots... just air.

Does it actually read surface temps when it's on your phone or just air? It doesn't look like it read and components at all for the pc shots... just air.

The number it gives is what the sensor detects using some average emissivity value. Strictly speaking, different types of materials will have different values, and it should be varied for the material. So there will be some inaccuracy from that.

The other caution that needs to be applied is that IR behaves like other electromagnetic radiation, and you have to be aware of reflections. Especially if shooting through a case window, or a shiny metal surface. You may be measuring part reflection, not the object itself.

The number it gives is what the sensor detects using some average emissivity value. Strictly speaking, different types of materials will have different values, and it should be varied for the material. So there will be some inaccuracy from that.

The other caution that needs to be applied is that IR behaves like other electromagnetic radiation, and you have to be aware of reflections. Especially if shooting through a case window, or a shiny metal surface. You may be measuring part reflection, not the object itself.

Yup.. gotcha... it just looks way different than what we've seen from reviews and such which aren't capturing the air or reflections.

I'm imagining if he took off the case panel and took a proper picture of the hardware it may read the right things. :)

I'm imagining if he took off the case panel and took a proper picture of the hardware it may read the right things. :)

I'm thinking this too. These images are likely showing a fairly accurate temp reading of the case side panel.

You brought this on yourself.

Umm - no.

I'm thinking this too. These images are likely showing a fairly accurate temp reading of the case side panel.

Yes - I was just messing around. I'll take a picture of my GPU this weekend.

In general, the readings won't be 100% accurate because the emissivity of the different materials. I could go into the image and adjust the emissivity of various areas to get super-accurate readings. However, I don't think it's worth the effort as I'm just interested in trends.

I was actually shocked that I was able to see the "inside" of the case in infra-red with the cover on. It probably has to do with the fact that the window material is a clear plastic and not glass. If you look at the picture of my son-in-law, it looks like he has sun glasses on...they are just regular glasses. This is what I expected from the case pictures...but hey - it still looks cool!

I've also been using it to check the insulation in my house...looking for "hot spots".

I plan on spending more time this weekend taking pictures. While the pictures I posted with the cover on are not quantitatively accurate, the qualitative results will still match the overall trends of the temperature (i.e. the plastic glass cover is getting hotter where it is absorbing more heat.)

I guess I personally care more for components pics than how warm the case plexiglass is. :)

Awesome toy, can't wait to see some hardware pics. :)

Back