• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused About Memory With a i7-6850K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjb4

Registered
I am a little confused about what memory to use with my new build. I'm using the 6850 with a ASUS ROG Strix Gaming mobo. I was thinking about using G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3333 Memory, but looking at intel's memory types/specs for the 6850 it lists DDR4 2400/2133. What does that mean exactly? Would the G.Skill DDR4-3333 not be supported? Supported but not utilized to the max?:confused:
thanks,
cjb4

It will be supported. It will run at 2133 out of the box. You will have to enable xmp but it will work

Pretty much all motherboards run 2133/2400 MHz out of the box. XMP is very easy to enable and Trident Z is a very good choice. G Skill is making some of the best Ram out there right now. There is only one person I have seen argue that and he's flat out wrong. Period. Trident Z is very good ram. Corsair is also Very good ram. I don't think I would personally get a 4x4 kit tho. Well shoot you have to run 4 sticks in x99 don't you? I forgot about that. Ya anyway you will be fine. I suggest don't spend the money on anything faster than 3000-3200 MHZ tho it's not worth it. I have 3200 MHz ram right now and I have it overclocked to 3333 MHz and it was easy as literally just changing it to 3333 MHz.

And from what I hear G-Skill is making some of the best Overclocking ram as well so get 3200 MHz and I can pretty much guarantee you can run it at 3333 MHz without even changing the timings.

Last edited:
Thanks Rainwater, very helpful. I will do the 3200MHz, the 3333 MHZ went up over $25 since I was first looking at it in November.

What motherboard are you planning on putting this system together with. The motherboard will play a role as to whether or not the ram can run at the rated speed.

The x99 ROG Strix Loch. :)

I run 4x8gb ddr4 3200 mhz on a 6950x and RVExtreme. Should be able to do it on the strix...it's not so much the mobo as it is the IMC on the cpu. When usong xmp, it will likely set your bclk to 125 as it may not have the multiplier to reach 3200.

As far as overclocking memory...have at it. But beware there are few gains to be had for the effort. Not worth my time when I can set xmp and (likely) be golden. :)

Thanks Ed, I am blind tonight. I know there was some boards floating around at one point that had limited options for ram multipliers.

3200 is about max for average cpu+mobo combo ( not saying it's yours ). Above 3200 is never guaranteed so in most cases it's waste of money to pay premium for 3333+ kits for X99 platform. I was able to run fully stable @3333-3466 only on top overclocking boards. Right now I have X99 Taichi which is great but I'm not sure how high memory will go. So far I've tested only older Samsungs which couldn't run stable at 3333.

Cj, did this work for you?

I also have the 6850k, om a rampage v edition 10 mobo and 64gb of tridentZ 3200 ram. ( I have also tried it with just 32Gb)
Mine will not let me run my ram anything higher than 2133. If I enable XMP when I reboot it just says "Your overclock has failed"
I'm currently searching for the solution.

I would set frequency and main timings manually. If it won't work then make the same but disable XMP. If it still won't work then try higher VCCSA. I had no chance to test 64GB on Broadwell-E. On Haswell-E I had no problems but there is different memory controller and lower voltages.

I think one of my issues might be the fact that I have 2 different kits. I have:
32Gb TridentZ 3200 Rgb
32Gb TridentZ 3200 Non rgb
The last time I attempted, I did manually put in the timings, I think, It was my first time at trying it so who knows if I did it correctly lol
I haven't tried without XMP yet though, So, I'll give that a shot.
I was looking for the VCCSA but I couldn't find it in bios. Where would I look for that?

I think one of my issues might be the fact that I have 2 different kits. I have:
32Gb TridentZ 3200 Rgb
32Gb TridentZ 3200 Non rgb
The last time I attempted, I did manually put in the timings, I think, It was my first time at trying it so who knows if I did it correctly lol
I haven't tried without XMP yet though, So, I'll give that a shot.
I was looking for the VCCSA but I couldn't find it in bios. Where would I look for that?

It's been a few years, but after searching for someone with my same setup for a long time, I have found you. Did you ever figure out how to get your RAM to run at 3200mhz with your i7-6850k via your Rampage V Edition 10 Motherboard? I upgraded my ram to 64gb with 4 sticks. I get the exact same issue when turning on XMP. Computer won't boot, just gives me the Overclock Failed error. I don't know which settings to mess with after turning XMP on to get the system to become stable.

Any help is appreciated if you're still around. :)

It's been a few years, but after searching for someone with my same setup for a long time, I have found you. Did you ever figure out how to get your RAM to run at 3200mhz with your i7-6850k via your Rampage V Edition 10 Motherboard? I upgraded my ram to 64gb with 4 sticks. I get the exact same issue when turning on XMP. Computer won't boot, just gives me the Overclock Failed error. I don't know which settings to mess with after turning XMP on to get the system to become stable.

Any help is appreciated if you're still around. :)

I'm in a similar boat, I have 8x4gb 64gb trident z 3466mhz, I get lousy speed, did you get any help or work out what settings to change?

thanks

You should start a thread and list specs, edplain in detwil what 'lousy speed' means, etc, for help.

Back