• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A question regarding waiting time after AIO install to OC..and a pic :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaotic Nootrl

Registered
Hey guys, I didn't know where to post this question: I was just wondering how long I should wait after installing AIOs (with the OEM paste) in order to overclock? I read everywhere 200 hours? but is that for TIM applied by myself as well as OEM paste that already comes on the AIOs? Thanks

This is my first ever build...after 20+ years of wanting to do so lol..im proud and addicted now

Attachments

• Rig 2.jpg
    Rig 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 31
There is no specific need to wait on overclocking the cpu after mounting your cooler. I would test your cpu at stock settings with a stress test to make sure you have a good mount and to give yourself baseline temps. Other than that you are good to start cranking the cpu.

Ok great! Now when you say stress test, do you mean run it through 3dmark or something similar? If yes then what should I look for which would indicate a good mount or not? 3dmark gave me a 10,900 something. Thanks for your help!

You are going to want to download something like HWinfo64 to monitor temps. Then get a stress test like Intel Burn test(IBT) or Asus Realbench or XTU. I personally like to use Intel burn test initially then verify my overclock stability with one of the other 2. What you will want to do then is open the sensor tabs on HwInfo and then run IBT for 10 passes on the normal setting. After this note the max core temp that your cpu is reporting. This will be your baseline temp. I am not quite sure what setup you have so cannot really give you a good idea of what temps to expect. If you can list your full system specs it will be helpful as we go forward. AS a side note you will want to download cpu-z for when you start trying to overclock.

The 200 hours for TIM is for Artic Silver 5. And frankly, it only improves temus 1-2 in all the professional testing I've seen. Most dont have any burn in cycles like that. Jus use the PC and overclock now as Loch said. :)

Ok I have cpuz already but I'll start gathering the rest now. here are my specs:

mobo: asus z170 aura
cpu: i7-6700k @ 4.00ghz (with thermaltake water riing applied with arctic silver)
ram: 2x 8gb corsair led 3000
gpu: 2x MSI 1080 aero oc sli (cooled with corsair AIO and NZXT mount)

I appreciate your guys' time and help

I would expect core temps around 60c when running stock settings. It may be a little higher depending on how your board sets the stock voltage though.

Ok so I've just: (in order) 10passes with IBT (stable), Realbench for 15mins (stable), XTU (wouldnt install cuz of some error), and ran ibt again 10x, Max core temp was 88 (I feel as though that is high)...thoughts?

can you take a screenshot while running the IBT program. Also have the hwinfo sensor tab open and have 2 instances of cpu-z open one showing the CPU tab and one showing the Memory tab.

The biggest issue I see is your motherboard is setting way to high of a voltage. Try going into your bios and set core voltage to 1.2volts in manual mode.

Have you changed anything in your bios yet or is everything still at auto?

Here u go...I wasnt sure if i was supposed to take the screenshot during any particular run.
*heres the updated pic, sorry forgot to change one of the tabs on cpuz like you requested*
Capture.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

No, I haven't changed anything. The only think I did was place the OC pin on the mobo to the 2-3.

pass 3 in the 10 cycles of ibt is normaly the hottest.
and we need to see the memory tab of cpu-z

oh, and very nice looking build.

Ok I just checked and the core voltage was already set to 1.296, so I didn't change anything. What do you think about the 5-way optimization asus has? Or do you think it's not advisable yet with my max core temp being so high?

And thanks caddi daddi, it's my first - the mobo was what was most intimidating to me, next i plan to add some sleeved cables and hopefully 2 closed loops.

You say the voltage is set to 1.296? Is that in auto mode? If that is the case the voltage will fluctuate. You can see in the cpuz tab that the board is setting 1.4v under load.

Ok you're right, I changed it to manual but I couldn't see a way to actually change the voltage so I left it at 1.296. Heres a shot of the test run again.
Do you think maybe I did a bad job applying the thermal paste a couple weeks ago? I noticed the max core temp increased to 89 in this run.

Capture3.PNG

I cannot see your temps so I don't know how that run went. If you go back into bios click on the 1.296 value and it should let you type in 1.2 then hit enter.

As for your tim application. It is possible you have a bad mount but it is hard to tell until we get your system running in a more sensible place.

Ok I'm back, well I thoroughly checked all the settings in my bios. I did set it to manual, however there was some other option which was preselected (and I couldnt unselect it) which said something about an outside voltage source having the ability to regulate the core voltage? I wish I could word it better..maybe I should just leave it alone for now, I think I would feel better if I reapplied the TMI, because my cpu temps jump around very erratically at times (unless this is normal?). And at other times it's at a steady 25-27, my mobo temps seem to be jumping around now too, right now its around 50 give or take.

Erratic temps... Are you seeing a load in the PC when that happens? Look at HWmonitor or Hwinfo. ;)

It is normal for temps to jump around based on cpu load. The temp spikes can be very quick and very drastic.

Like I said earlier lick it at 1.2v on the core and then test again. If the temps still seem high it might be worth ba remount then.

Back