• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z270, H270, B250, H110 AND HM175 - WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The H and the B series motherboards will have significant limitations on what RAM frequencies you can use and will have fewer overclocking options in bios for the CPU. They will also have more limited PCI-e bandwidth with regard to the lanes and less robust power phase components.

The "Z" boards are the enthusiast, overclocker boards.

The H and the B series motherboards will have significant limitations on what RAM frequencies you can use and will have fewer overclocking options in bios for the CPU. They will also have more limited PCI-e bandwidth with regard to the lanes and less robust power phase components.

The "Z" boards are the enthusiast, overclocker boards.
The ONLY one you can overclock is Z. The rest are tied down... no memory overclocking at all..JEDEC.

Both the Z270 and Q270 series have the same amount of pcie lanes (24). The others less.

Refer to the link in the first post. :)

At least some of the H boards have the ability to overclock the CPU by multiplier. I have at least one in use right now, the MSI H81M-P33, in which I have an overclocked G5328. But the overclocking controls are very limited. You can raise the multiplier manually but the voltage increases are only automatic. I also have a Gigabyte B85M with an overclocked G3258 in it I'm using for an HTPC. And ASRock put out some H and B boards that even had clock generator chips for overclocking with the BCLK but they were limited to using DDR4 2133.

Last edited:
Indeed...

But this is regarding the Kaby Lake chipset though. Intel also mentioned this in our conference call. Perhaps AIBs will make exceptions, I don't know. Regardless, if you are overclocking, you want z270 and not have to figure out what boards, IF ANY, can actually overclock.

Agreed. If overclocking, Z is the only smart choice for overclocking.

I ran across something the other day that seemed to imply that Asus and ASRock would be offering Kaby Lake boards with either bios parameters or clock gen chips to overclock non k chips. I can't find it now, though. I read and reread it at the time and it was not entirely clear to me if they were indeed saying this or if I was interpreting it wrongly.

AIB ? What's that stand for?

Indeed...

But this is regarding the Kaby Lake chipset though. Intel also mentioned this in our conference call. Perhaps AIBs will make exceptions, I don't know. Regardless, if you are overclocking, you want z270 and not have to figure out what boards, IF ANY, can actually overclock.

Mentioned what? Not sure what you are referring to here.

What we are talking about. No overclocking or memory overclocking on anything but the 'z' chipset.

Back