• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kamir

Hi,

first of all sorry for my english I am not a native speaker.
I changed my MB about three weeks ago and since a few days my PC freezes randomly and I have been looking for a solution, but I can't get rid of these freezes :(. The first freeze happened while downloading a new Windows Update (11.01.17). I didn't had much time during the first weeks so maybe the problem exists since I changed the MB.

My System:
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero BIOS 3101
CPU: i7 6700K non OC
GPU r9 390 nitro
RAM: 16 GB Balistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
SSD: 120 & 250GB Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD SM951-NVMe
HDD: WD Green 3 TB
PSU: 500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM
Sound: Xonar U7
Keyboard: Roccat MK Glow
Mouse: Roccat Nyth

The freezes happen in Idle and under Load. The screen freezes and I have to use the reset button twice to restart my system. The fist push only turns off the lights of my mouse, keyboard and soundcard and the second push leads to a restart of my system.

The first freezes didn't allow me to push the reset button (nothing happened) I had to push the power button for about 4 secs. the lights of my peripherals went out instant with these freezes.

What I did so far:
-CrystalDisk - 100% good
-Ram tested with MemTest and the Windows test - no errors
-BIOS Update (3101)
-Driver updated
-High Performance in the energy settings
-turned off USB selective suspend setting
-Unchecked all in the network adapter energy options
-activate/deactivate XMP
- Intel Diagnostic tool - no failure
-deactivated Supremefx beacause i have the Xonar U7
-stressed all non Windows drivers - nothing happened
-Prime95 Blend Test - one time I got an error with instant freeze and one time only an error without a freeze. The Last run was for about 9hrs without error/freeze
-and today I reinstalled Win10 but the freezes still happen

The Eventlog shows nothing but I noticed that it shows wrong shut downs. For example freeze at 5:58AM, restart at 6:34AM and the eventlog says sth. about an unexpected shutdown at 5:44AM but also show a driver update at 5:45.

Another thing I noticed: My mouse sometimes starts wihtout any lights on, I then have to replug it. One time with wrong colors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to find a solution for this problem

Thank you!
Kamir

Well it could very well be a driver issue. Possibly a Windows issue. You could have bent pin(s) in the motherboard socket. It could be a number of things. If you didn't notice anything before the last update maybe try to rollback that update and see if the problem persists. I've heard of it happening with Power Supplies that are going out as well. Oh I just saw the fresh install sorry. Sometimes I get ahead of myself. Either an instability with voltage or memory or I would take your Cpu out and check the socket. Make sure everything is straight down there.

Thanks for the reply!

For the record: I recently bought new Ram from G.Skill because some other users in other forums fixed it that way. It seems that Crucial and Corsair Ram sometimes freezes the system but pass every test w/o failure.

I'll test the new Ram and write back if another freeze happens

Did you do a fresh, clean install of Windows 10 after changing the motherboard?

Did you do a fresh, clean install of Windows 10 after changing the motherboard?

Yes with a USB Stick completely fresh and clean and also a second time, some days ago.

Until now no freezes in Realbench/Prime, but still testing. Several restarts because the last freezes happened often shortly after startup and starting prime (not instant). I'll let the Blend Test run during the night and see what happens.

A quality 500 watt PSU would have no problem pulling your system but with that juice hogging R9 290 Nitro video card a cheap 500 watt that probably doesn't even come close to being able to deliver 500 watts in a sustained fashion will struggle. I am not familiar with the 500 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10-CM you list. That company produces nice CPU coolers but I didn't even know they made PSUs. Must be a new boy on the block.

If your instability is inconsistent and random you might also be looking at RAM issues. Remove all but one stick of RAM and test each stick in each slot with Memtest 86+ for a couple of passes.

Last edited:
Here in Germany bequiet! is one of the most common manufacturers for PSUs and like you mentioned for CPU coolers and quiet fans as well. They are recommended in many builds because of their quality.

If your instability is inconsistent and random you might also be looking at RAM issues. Remove all but one stick of RAM and test each stick in each slot with Memtest 86+ for a couple of passes.

That's why I ordered new ram from G.Skill because my Crucial ram seems to have problems with the z170 platform. The strange thing is that all these tests found no errors, but after changing the ram the freezes were gone. I will do this if the freezes still occur.

Blend-Test after 9hrs - no freezes / errors so far.

BeQuiet manufactures top notch PSU's.

That is the only brand I purchase for the last 5 years, and never ran into any issu with any of them (got 5 or 6, from the 530W bronze to the 1000W gold)

I'm running Crucial 16gb Ballistic DD4 2400 in my Asus Z170 Pro without any issue. My suggestion to test the RAM was not motivated by concerns about compatibility but by the possibility that a RAM stick could be bad, even a new one, or a motherboard RAM slot could be bad.

Last edited:
I'm running Crucial 16gb Ballistic in my Asus Z170 Pro without any issue. My suggestion to test the RAM was not motivated by concerns about compatibility but by the possibility that a RAM stick could be bad, even a new one, or a motherboard RAM slot could be bad.

Ah I see. Yes this could also be the problem, but so far no more freezes with the new ram. I will let run Prime again today and tomorrow and see what happens. I'll test it like you suggested after the next freeze, but I hope there are no more freezes.

Back