• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brighthouse/Charter customers need to check your service. Heads up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

I've been a Brighthouse cable internet customer since it was Roadrunner. Probably somewhere around 15 years or so but as anyone with their service knows they recently merged with Charter to become Spectrum. I've also paid about $60.00 monthly for my cable internet and while the speeds have changed over the years my price has stayed relatively the same until after the merge. Spectrum sent out a flier with new speed offers if I paid a little more. Honestly they were pretty good deals so I called them up. Well it turns out the new offer was only for people around the Tampa, FL area which I am not even close to so I couldn't get it. Nice bait and switch eh? The best part was that the "promo price" I have is expiring in March and my price is going to increase to $100.00. With this my speed will be increasing to 300mb which would be nice. The problem is that I can't swing $100 monthly for internet so I asked if I can keep my current price that I've paid for 15 years. I was promptly told no. It is a promo price so I can't keep it. I questioned how it's a promo price when I've been paying it for 15 years but was given no good reason other than the promo is ending. Basically I can cut my speed from my existing 100mb to 20mb and pay $45.00 or get the 300mb for $100.00. If I choose the 300mb route I have to pay a $130 install fee for the upgrade as well. In the end I downgraded my service.

My point of all this is to give everyone on Brighthouse/Charter/Spectrum a heads up to call and check your service. You may be part of this "promo" pricing and need to adjust your bill or you will be automatically moved to the $100 monthly service. Also if you are around the Tampa area you might be able to get the deal they sent a mailer about. Either way I would call to check your service and pricing.

If there is another service provider in your area, find out what they charge. Call customer service and threaten to leave after being a customer for 15 years...they will give you their best price. I do it every year ! Hehe

I live in the Tampa area, have Brighthouse/Spectrum. I pay $45 a month for 100 Mb down, 10 Mb up. I typically get 115 down and 15 up.

Since The name change to Spectrum, I have seen my downloads hit as high as 500 Mb. It's when I do large game updates...goes 80, then 115, then 500+ until the download finishes. I was shocked the first time it happened...thought it was a fluke...but it has happened 10 times in the past 2 weeks!

I think the promo they sent me was something like 100mb for $29 monthly so you might give them a call since you are in Tampa. I tossed the flier otherwise I would double check for you. Unfortunately the only other provider is ATT which is $100 monthly for slower DSL.

I've been a Brighthouse cable internet customer since it was Roadrunner. Probably somewhere around 15 years or so but as anyone with their service knows they recently merged with Charter to become Spectrum. I've also paid about $60.00 monthly for my cable internet and while the speeds have changed over the years my price has stayed relatively the same until after the merge. Spectrum sent out a flier with new speed offers if I paid a little more. Honestly they were pretty good deals so I called them up. Well it turns out the new offer was only for people around the Tampa, FL area which I am not even close to so I couldn't get it. Nice bait and switch eh? The best part was that the "promo price" I have is expiring in March and my price is going to increase to $100.00. With this my speed will be increasing to 300mb which would be nice. The problem is that I can't swing $100 monthly for internet so I asked if I can keep my current price that I've paid for 15 years. I was promptly told no. It is a promo price so I can't keep it. I questioned how it's a promo price when I've been paying it for 15 years but was given no good reason other than the promo is ending. Basically I can cut my speed from my existing 100mb to 20mb and pay $45.00 or get the 300mb for $100.00. If I choose the 300mb route I have to pay a $130 install fee for the upgrade as well. In the end I downgraded my service.

My point of all this is to give everyone on Brighthouse/Charter/Spectrum a heads up to call and check your service. You may be part of this "promo" pricing and need to adjust your bill or you will be automatically moved to the $100 monthly service. Also if you are around the Tampa area you might be able to get the deal they sent a mailer about. Either way I would call to check your service and pricing.

Welcome to the Time Warner family. This has been going on for 20 years in NY. Nothing new at all. Time Warner is Spectrum BTW.

And now they will let ATT/Directv merge with Time Warner making one gigantic powerhouse that has the potential to control the information we get, the avenues we get that information with and the speed of the information we get with our internet connections. I'm not usually someone who wants the government telling companies what to do but this is one time I think it needs to manage it. This will basically be the modern equivalent of what ATT was before it was forced to break into the baby bells in the 80s. My price going up for less choice is a perfect example of the consumer losing because of monopolies.

If there is another service provider in your area, find out what they charge. Call customer service and threaten to leave after being a customer for 15 years...they will give you their best price. I do it every year ! Hehe

It seems they no longer care. Friend of mine ended up leaving Time Warner for similar reasons. Luckily he had FIOS available in his area and ended up getting more for les money.

My advice would be to see if you can get a new provider. Otherwise, pay the man. We're paying $40 /month for 15/1.

Economic polices are what they are. Apparently a large portion of the voting populace wanted to pay more for everything they depend on, and they got their wish. Expect things to get much worse very soon as Comcast and Verizon and AT&T realize they can get away with anything under the new FCC.

Last edited:
Comcast already does this in the Chicagoland area. You sign up at 45-60/mo then after the first year they jack you up to 100/mo. No where on these contacts does it say it's a 1-year contact either so I don't know how they are getting away with it.

Granted you do get 100/12 for this pricing in an area where it's hard to get fast Internet for cheap. If you're in a house-apartment you're stuck with ATT which is real slow... or dealing with Comcast. If you're in a highrise you have a chance to get fiber through the community Internet options... but living in a reputable highrise is already out of the question if you want to save money living in this city.

It's too bad you can't afford the 300MB connect - I wish I could get 300MB for the 100/mo I'm already spending :p

Comcast already does this in the Chicagoland area. You sign up at 45-60/mo then after the first year they jack you up to 100/mo. No where on these contacts does it say it's a 1-year contact either so I don't know how they are getting away with it.

Granted you do get 100/12 for this pricing in an area where it's hard to get fast Internet for cheap. If you're in a house-apartment you're stuck with ATT which is real slow... or dealing with Comcast. If you're in a highrise you have a chance to get fiber through the community Internet options... but living in a reputable highrise is already out of the question if you want to save money living in this city.

It's too bad you can't afford the 300MB connect - I wish I could get 300MB for the 100/mo I'm already spending :p

I'm about 60 miles north of you, and we don't even get 100/12 as an option. We top out at 50/5.

Back