• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

People keep saying I have mic issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

So I had a pair of Astro a40s and people said I sounded ok on them. But they were getting worn/broken so I decided to upgrade.

Purchased the A50s. Which I really liked, comfortable, great sound quality, but everyone said I sounded low and muffled. Really awful.

So I returned them and got the Arctis 7. Supposed to have one of, if not best headset mic out. People are saying same thing. I sound low and muffled to them. Like talking through a heavy coat or something. Turning me up in discord and such as high as can go.

My mic settings in recording are at 100, and in the Steelseries engine as well.

When I record myself, or side-tone myself, I sound just fine. Great in fact. So why is it everyone else is having issues hearing me decently?

Internet connection? What's your upload like? Perhaps the sound is getting compressed causing distortion? The fact it sounds fine on your machine suggests it's something software or in between you and them causing a problem (connection)

Internet connection? What's your upload like? Perhaps the sound is getting compressed causing distortion? The fact it sounds fine on your machine suggests it's something software or in between you and them causing a problem (connection)

200 Mbps download
20 Mbps upload

Doubt it then. (damn I'm on 7/1 hahaha).

Is it on every client you use? Or do you only use the one? (Discord? Skype? in-game?)

currently only have 2 platforms to test in. Discoard & Overwatch. And people say same issue in both.

Are you able to get your friend to record you/confirm there's an issue/that it sounds different to your local recording?

If it was only an issue with 1 piece of software I'd point to that but given it's multiple.. I'm not really sure :\

There might be a mic gain setting (usually xx dB boost) independent of the % gain. I remember seeing it in the Windows setting...and in some games.

Are you able to get your friend to record you/confirm there's an issue/that it sounds different to your local recording?

If it was only an issue with 1 piece of software I'd point to that but given it's multiple.. I'm not really sure :\

One of my friends streams his phone app games, and I went on his stream and heard my voice over his stream. It sounded muffled. But when I streamed my own desktop and talked, it sounded just fine.

There might be a mic gain setting (usually xx dB boost) independent of the % gain. I remember seeing it in the Windows setting...and in some games.

No that I could find. The Astro a50 ACC software & Steelseries engine both have one, which was maxed, as well as the level on the recording devices.

Try downloading Audacity to test if the microphone sounds distorted when recording/playback locally. Most likely you'll have the best luck getting/making a good preamp since the ones built into onboard generally aren't that good. Could also be a poor quality microphone. An entry level recording microphone might be a good solution.

Try downloading Audacity to test if the microphone sounds distorted when recording/playback locally. Most likely you'll have the best luck getting/making a good preamp since the ones built into onboard generally aren't that good. Could also be a poor quality microphone. An entry level recording microphone might be a good solution.

Not using onboard. I have a Asus Xonar DX

Back