• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't boot after changing Uncore Clock Ratio to x21

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Majster12

Motherboard MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522)
CPU i7-930

I have changed BCLK Frequency to 181 and adjusted voltages a little bit to 1.8 and system booted fine, but i have noticed that Core Ratio is jumping from 12 to 21 in CPU-Z.
So i went to bios and changed "Uncore Clock Ratio to x21" instead of "Core Clock Ratio to x21" now system won't boot.
So far i have tried:
Cmos Reset button 3 times with a gap of 10 seconds.
Removed Battery for at least 10 minutes.
Removed power cable from PSU for 12h
4x power on

Very stupid question (as it happened to someone on this forum a few months back...): is the PSU turned on?

there are 2to1 ratios that have to be maintained on the core/uncore/memory dividers. some boards will keep them correct as you change them, others may not. the 20 and 21 dividers are the hardest for the chipset to handle as well

clear the cmos and start over on your settings

disconnect power to the whole pc and remove the battery and hit the power button with power disconnected, then clear cmos and then replace the battery and power back up with cord

I had a finicky board that needed to sit overnight witbkht a battery. Might be worth a shot :shrug:

Here is another double checking type question for you: How did you reset the cmos? When you had the battery (the time you let it sit for 10min) out did you jumper the correct pins ? Or that the switch was put back in tbe proper position? Im not trying to give you a hard time, im just trying to establish that "proper" troubleshooting has failed. But if you are sure you did all the right things in the right way i dont know what else you can do besides change the BIOS chip.

I assume that the OP got it booted but for future reference there is a backdoor to reset an unbootable motherboard. Rebooting holing the insert key and tapping the delete key will reset the bios and boot an otherwise unbootable motherboard. It can take several tries and may often require a ps2 keyboard connection but it will force a bios reset. learned this from an IBM tech in the early 90's, as far as I know it should still work.

I assume that the OP got it booted but for future reference there is a backdoor to reset an unbootable motherboard. Rebooting holing the insert key and tapping the delete key will reset the bios and boot an otherwise unbootable motherboard. It can take several tries and may often require a ps2 keyboard connection but it will force a bios reset. learned this from an IBM tech in the early 90's, as far as I know it should still work.
It does on most boards. ;)
There are a few exceptions.

Try unplugging the PSU connectors, 24 pin and EPS. Hold the power button for 10 seconds with the battery in to drain it of any residual charge, then take it out and leave it out with the jumper set to reset for another 10 minutes. Put it back in, plug the connectors back in, and see if it boots. My friend did this when he messed up an overclock and it worked, said removing the connectors ensures there isn't any residual charge from the PSU coming in.

Back