• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with a Giga mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

OK, with a cooler head and with my tantrum over (and that was a tantrum, no doubt. :eek: ) I'm going to take a deep breath and approach this as simply a problem to solve. I went back over the title and first post and thought I had found a time machine and I let twelve year old me write it. Sorry about that rant, guys. That was pretty over the edge. I can't claim frustration as an excuse, that was just silly. I'll go through the thread and get good advice and go from there. And thanks to all for having a more helpful attitude than the thread deserved. :salute:

Last edited:
Asrock is real good! Got 5 of them over the last 4 years, and none of thm let me down (z68 fatality, z77 fatality pro m, Z97 OCF-m, Z97 Extreme4 and x99 Extreme6).

All of them alowed for high OC, with lots of tweaks. Heck I run my [email protected]/1.32v 24/7 on an Extreme6!

In the meantime, my Asus Z68 pro had the 24 pins that burnt, and same went with the 990 Sabertooth.

I've only got one recent-ish Gigabyte mobo (Z97) and find its bios confusing compared to others I've used, but it didn't seem particularly objectionable. I find bioses take time to get used to in general.

I guess we all have good and bad experiences sooner or later. I have two MSI Z170 boards and that's put me right off them. First one was fine, and just worked for OC no problems. 2nd one, no end of problems with OC, yet perfectly fine at stock. Actually, I'm about to try that 2nd one for a high risk OC in a bit...

Alaric,

On recommendations of others that I asked when I built this 6600K, I've had decent success with the Asrock mid-range board in my sig. It's about as a sophisticated board that I need. With your skills you probably need a higher end board.

This board is garbage. I thought I would "live with" the audio problems. But I can't get my 6700k over 1500 MHz. This board is trash. The BIOS won't let me in to half the adjustments I need to reach, and the "default" settings are garbage. F#@&! Gigabyte and their crappy budget boards. I should have bought an ASUS board and I'm paying for that few dollars saved. Never again. This board is crap and I'm on the verge of selling the whole rig for $1000 just to get it out of my face. Even if somebody here can fix the issues, it's still more trouble than it's worth. F#@&* Gigabyte and anybody that looks like them-and half the people that don't.

So man up and RMA it. It has a 3-year warranty, things break, things are defective, everything isn't perfect. In the mean time, get another board, ASRock or Asus. Then sell your RMA replacement. You are ranting like a 4-year old whose favorite toy just broke.

I agree with Dave about getting an RMA on the board. Didn't Gigabyte used to have an extra set of keystrokes to unlock the performance setting? I'm sure things are different now with the UEFI BIOS. The only Gigabyte board I've ever owned is an H77TN mini ITX. It works great but has no overclocking options.

My first Asrock Z87 arrived with only one working memory channel, but the second one has been great.

Well now I'm hoping I didn't buy a ****ty board for my 6700K... The Z170X-UD5 from Gigabyte :-/

I will agree that every asrock board I have owned has been rather nice and worked flawlessly

I had a Gigabyte board for x58, It wasn't very good. I was happy to move back to Asus when the opportunity came about. The board quality was great, but the bios was just a steaming pile of code.

I really liked my giga board on the z97 platform.

Is the 1500mhz a typo?

I would not exactly call the gaming 7 a budget board. What are you trying to adjust that you do not have access to?

So far I like my GA Z170X Gaming 7 with a 6700k.
The thing here is that this board, as well as yours SP is from the UltraDurable series. So I don't think you will have any problems.
Similar to Asus, I wouldn't buy anything but a ROG or SaberTooth for overclocking!
In the end you get what you pay for...

Cheers

EDIT:: uh, yeah, err +1 Lochekey. Thats the same board as mine I just realized...

As long as it's Intel based.
AMD based is another story.

My boy runs a 960T on a 970 eXtreme3, the same combo I ran for 3 years before I sold it 2 years ago, and then got back for free when I helped that guy upgrade to Z97. It still has the profiles I set up for 4.08GHz as a quad core and 3800MHz as a hex, both rock stable with good airflow and a Hyper 212.

For anything past the Thuban/Zosma era (excluding Ryzen), I'd agree that Asrock doesn't have much to offer (except for the 990FX EXT9, which I've read competes with the Sabertooth), but nobody but Asus really does. Overclocking FX family processors takes way more board than Intel, and only the best of the best can push the octos.

My boy runs a 960T on a 970 eXtreme3, the same combo I ran for 3 years before I sold it 2 years ago, and then got back for free when I helped that guy upgrade to Z97. It still has the profiles I set up for 4.08GHz as a quad core and 3800MHz as a hex, both rock stable with good airflow and a Hyper 212.

For anything past the Thuban/Zosma era (excluding Ryzen), I'd agree that Asrock doesn't have much to offer (except for the 990FX EXT9, which I've read competes with the Sabertooth), but nobody but Asus really does. Overclocking FX family processors takes way more board than Intel, and only the best of the best can push the octos.
I should have been more specific. I do have a few older Asrock boards that are good runners. The EXT9 isn't one of them. I blew 2 of those up in the same week.

This board is garbage. I thought I would "live with" the audio problems. But I can't get my 6700k over 1500 MHz. This board is trash. The BIOS won't let me in to half the adjustments I need to reach, and the "default" settings are garbage. F#@&! Gigabyte and their crappy budget boards. I should have bought an ASUS board and I'm paying for that few dollars saved. Never again. This board is crap and I'm on the verge of selling the whole rig for $1000 just to get it out of my face. Even if somebody here can fix the issues, it's still more trouble than it's worth. F#@&* Gigabyte and anybody that looks like them-and half the people that don't.

What is going wrong with 6700k over 1500MHz?

Last edited:
Seems like you may be giving up on the brand prematurely if it's only one motherboard/one product that gave you issues.

I've probably owned more boards from Gigabyte than any other brand at this point, and never had any serious problems. Though my experience is with their older boards, because it's cheaper to overclock on older hardware (typically).

Intel:
1x GA-G33M-DS2R (Vdrop and Vdroop a little high, but otherwise good)
1x GA-P35-DS3L
2x GA-EP45-UD3P
1x GA-EX58-UD4P
1x GA-P55-USB3
1x GA-P55A-UD4P

AMD:
1x GA-MA790X-UD4P
1x GA-MA790FX-UD5P
1x GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Before you go off the deep end, sit down with the manual and read it 20 times, then read it 20 more times, and just for good measure again for 20 times , I'm sure your over looking something. Someone else in this Forum had trouble and he did figure it out. There is a big difference from the old BIOS to the UEFI BIOS that will scramble anyones brain :rofl:

p.s. don't forget to use the +/- keys or pageup/pagedown keys to change settings.

Back