• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can just drain and refill my sysem, right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
this is a pic of a friends system that has been running between 1-1/2 and 2 years, he drains and refills the loop every six months or so.
he runs distilled water and a kill coil.
12 hours ago when I stated flushing the system with my super secret process, (cascade dishwasher stuff and boiling water) the water was crystal clear, the loop is simple, pump/res combo, cpu block and a 2x120 rad and got the vinegar/ rad dance before it was installed.
what's in there????? I neither know, nor care, the whole loop is going in the dumpster.

PIC_1055.JPG

Cannot really see will what is on the res but the tubing looks like it has suffered from plasticiszer.

Looks like you struck oil!

In all seriousness, I'm a bit confused as to how the process was performed exactly.

1. He only drains and refills every 6 months for about 2 years now since installations with no issues prior?
2. Did you clean out his loop and drained or you kept the fluid circulating or still with vinegar and if so, how long did this go on for?

Other than the radiator, I'm not sure I would have allowed boiling water into the loop as it might exceed the limitations of the other components.

It's obvious there's some type of chemical reaction happening. A bit more info and a few more angle shots of the reservoir and any other visible parts including the tubing will help see what and where it may have been caused.

before we ever assembled the system every thing was rinsed with vinegar, the system has been drained and refilled with distilled water about every 6 months.
I pulled the loop, it comes out all together, brought it home, drained out the crystal clear, problem free water and the tube was all nice and clear, we were not even going to replace the tubes.
I filled it with the solution and ran it for 12 hours and the water turned black as coal.
I have never had one turn the water this black and this is how I flush all my systems.

and I fill the system with the solution and pump it through for 12 hours.

Holy crap! :eek: I've never seen anything like that. I've seen loops change color, have oxidation, bad chemical reaction to fluids/biocides & tubing, but never like that.

Holy crap! :eek: I've never seen anything like that. I've seen loops change color, have oxidation, bad chemical reaction to fluids/biocides & tubing, but never like that.

Reminds me of water I saw from a boiler after getting a flush by a technician!

I did not v realize the fluid was still in the reservoir in that picture, wow that is ugly.

Bad fitting causing corrosion once the plating wore away maybe?

nope they all cleaned up nice, the res is now clean and clear and what can be seen inside the rad is nice and shiny.
after a clean water rinse even the pump is now whisper quiet and so smooth you can't even feel it running in your hand.
I wonder if the rad just had a big wad of snot stuck in it from day one.

I'm still throwing the whole loop out because I can risk it in my own rig but when it's not yours you just can't.
I'm keeping one tube to show him the black snot.

Back