• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kicking my butt now

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Awdornowheels

Registered
I've wanted for years to build a computer then just decided I'm gonna do it. So I bought some parts now I'm kicking my butt. I have a diypc skyline 07 case. Sitting here now. I'm waiting on my other parts to get here should be by Tuesday. FX 8370 , MSI 970A procarbon , rosewill glacier 1000watt. Well after finding this website I realized I messed up. Shouldn't have got the 970.k should have waited for the new release as well. I still need to order ram and HDD and GPU. It will be for gaming and just having fun.

naaaa, not so bad.
your a little late to the party with this socket but the edumacation you will get is truly priceless.
we could run you into the ground for it but then every single one of us has done the exact same thing so you are forgiven.

and welcome to the forum.

Do you intend to overclock the CPU? If so, you want to go a different direction than MSI with your motherboard. Better look at the Asus Sabertooth. And what are you going to cool the CPU with?

It came with wrath cooler . I'm also I bought all items from Newegg. I also forgot to say I need to buy ram as well which I think I will just get 2 4g sticks

Thank you caddy. I just seen your message . I will have to mount fans around the motherboard it appear. I'm very late to the forums on this ! However never to late to start. I sure I will be unable to keep it stock. I'm a car guy always upgrading never happy want more so ya I'm sure this will cost a lot lol! Well ifnu guys don't mind maybe you could suggest a brand of ram. Maybe even gpu as well I was looking at buying a MSI gtx1070 8g. Was undecided on ram brand.

gskill ram tends to work well with amd, it's just Kingston that can have issues with amd.
1866 at the bottom, 2133 and 2400 for the sweet spot, all that matters is enough, that's 8 gigs, and it runs in dual channel.

oh, and please answer MR. Trents questions.

Most any brand will probably work well except Kingston, as CD said. GSkill is probably the most popular and compatible brand among this forums regular contributors and it is very reasonably priced. I recommend limiting your RAM frequency to 1866 if you want to overclock. Higher frequencies put more strain on the fairly weak integrated memory controller on AMD chips which can cause instability when overclocking. Just go with 1866 and use the XMP setting in bios.

Can you return this stuff for free or a nominal charge? I would. With everything else out currently and waiting for amd's new release, I can't say I would want to make a build like this now...

While it will work fine, don't misunderstand me, you are well behind today's available performance. I don't like to start out this far behind the curve, personally.

I'd return you cpu, motherboard, and power supply. That psu is overkill unless you plan to run 3 video cards. A 650w is PLENTY even overclocking the power hungry amd system you are building. If you go intel, you can even use 550W with ease and overclock the snot out of everything. ;)

I can not return the CPU so returning other items will do me no good. The power supply is over kill but it will not need a bigger one! I'm sure I build another one shortly. After the release.

You can sell the CPU for minimal losses... I would still do that rather than build this right now. Oh well.

That said, the parts look OK outside of that MSI board. I'm not up on AMD stuff really, but see frequent musings in many forums about MSI's sub-par AMD offerings.

As far as the PSU, you wouldn't need a bigger one if you bought a properly sized 650W unit. It can also save you some money to make up that difference in selling the CPU. ;)

MSI motherboardso would be right down at the bottom of the list for an FX8370 build. If you are stuck with not being able to return the CPU take a bit of time return the motherboard and get something a bit more stout like the sabertooth or at minimum the Asus 970 Aroura. By the sounds of it you have plans to overclock, the MSI will not let you do that. Save yourself the frustration.

Best of luck.

I can return mother board it be here today some time. I will fill out return fourm for new egg and look at the sabertooth.

MSI motherboardso would be right down at the bottom of the list for an FX8370 build. If you are stuck with not being able to return the CPU take a bit of time return the motherboard and get something a bit more stout like the sabertooth or at minimum the Asus 970 Aroura. By the sounds of it you have plans to overclock, the MSI will not let you do that. Save yourself the frustration.

Best of luck.

Amen!

Would u buy an open box sabertooth? 990 FX for 135 . Which is only 40 more then paid for MSI motherboard. Not taking a huge hit with that.

your taking a chance with Open box. No idea what your going to get until it arrives.

On that note, I've never had a bad board with open box, but have only bought TWO as far back as I could care to try and remember.

50/50 chance it works or it doesn't.

Time frame does not matter I will just have to make sure they will take return on it Incase it is broke. That being said I will order ram , video card, hard drive, motherboard today. Hope this all works out well! First build and my fingers are crossed!

One more question I didn't see slot different other then price. 990fx r2 or 990 FX r3 which would u get and why . Please and thank you in advance.

your taking a chance with Open box. No idea what your going to get until it arrives.

On that note, I've never had a bad board with open box, but have only bought TWO as far back as I could care to try and remember.

50/50 chance it works or it doesn't.
open boxes are guaranteed to work as much as something new, really. The concern is you don't get accessories, etc.

Back