• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probably a dumb router question but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

So as you may or may not know, I play Path Of Exile which is known to sometimes drop connectivity at the most inopportune times.

As a method of troubleshooting several recent disconnects which resulted in RIPs, I installed WinMTR to basically log my connectivity to see where in the chain of connections I'm dropping connections.

I don't have the log file handy but don't really need it to describe the results.

When I drop connectivity, a solid 75% of the time I'm seeing disconnects at their servers. 9%5-100% packet loss at their end, not mine...

However, the other 25% of disconnects are squarely at my router, where WinMTR shows 100% loss at the router before the packets even hit the modem.

TBH, the router I'm using isn't one I trust...it's the replacement that Asus sent after my RT-N66U Black Night combusted.

Would it be safe to assume it's time for a new router?

It might be time for a new router but I would try a new network cable between the modem and router first.

Do you experience the issue at all if you plug directly into the modem?

Do you experience the issue at all if you plug directly into the modem?

When bypassing the router (computer straight to modem) I do still experience intermittent disconnects (they occur just as often) while in POE but the packet loss is never on my end or the intermediate connections. According to WinMTR, 100% of those disconnects occur in one of the last 3 hops (once it enters GGG's hosting company's servers...) and -none- of the packet losses appear to be on any of the hops between the computer and level 3's servers.

So it seems that 75% of the time it's GGG's hosting company at fault and 25% of the time it's evidently my router. I do have a Linksys AC1900 I got last year but after having to futz around with a Linksys account and mobile app I unplugged that POS. I can use it to test with (once I do a hard reset to factory specs) and set it back up (and disable wireless) I

I also picked up a TP Link Archer C7 today from Amazon (arriving Saturday) to keep on hand to test with if the Linksys doesn't work out...

It might be time for a new router but I would try a new network cable between the modem and router first.

Yep. It's something a lot of people overlook but I did that. thanks for the suggestion though :)

I keep a few pre-made 3footers and some self-made 1 footers around to test with. Same issue happens even with those each of cables in place of the one I normally use.

25% of the time, it seems to be my router, so I'm betting it's getting hot (the previous one actually caught fire)

Sounds more and more like the router based on what you said. I would give the Linksys a shot for sure, it can likely run DD-WRT as well (would obviously have to check) if you don't want to deal with all of the Linksys hooks. The Archer C7 is supposed to be an excellent router as well, I imagine or at least hope you will be in good shape afterwards. At least for all you can do on your end.

I gotta check out this game that you are so willing to accept connection issues for. ;)

Sounds more and more like the router based on what you said. I would give the Linksys a shot for sure, it can likely run DD-WRT as well (would obviously have to check) if you don't want to deal with all of the Linksys hooks. The Archer C7 is supposed to be an excellent router as well, I imagine or at least hope you will be in good shape afterwards. At least for all you can do on your end.

I picked up a C7 Archer which arrived Saturday. I'm going to connect it up to my NUC so I can enter all the settings from the Asus, then swap out the Asus for the TPLink.

Back