• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD (and HDD) Prices About to Go Up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I meant to post this in the general discussion (or maybe the storage) area. Mods feel free to move accordingly. :)

I have a spare 120GB I might unload as well. :D

I've definitely noticed it, especially over the past few months. I was buying lots of a particular model of 1TB SSDs in September at like $210 each, and now it's tough to find them under $250.

On a side note, I've completely switched from buying any new consumer SSDs to only buying used enterprise SSDs, and getting much better/cheaper storage as a result.

On a side note, I've completely switched from buying any new consumer SSDs to only buying used enterprise SSDs, and getting much better/cheaper storage as a result.

Good tip. How do you check the life left on the drives you purchase?

I usually just check SMART for reallocated blocks, runtime hours, and data written. Yesterday I bought three 200GB OCZ Deneva 2 R SSDs. A Samsung 850 Evo 256 is rated at 75 TBW endurance, which is a lot (I know, review sites have logged much more than that) but these Deneva 2 SSDs are rated at something like 38 PBW (yes, Petabytes).

Lately I've been buying a lot of 400GB LSI WarpDrives on eBay for $70 shipped, and most of them are showing powered on for 3 years in SMART, with 100% life remaining. Power usage is high, but 1200MB/s at that price for eMLC, I think it's an incredible value, especially with an endurance rating of several PB.

You can catch some sweet deals on eBay for Intel and Samsung SSDs around $100 for 400GB and $200 for 960GB. They used to be nonstop but these days you just have to be patient to catch them.

This is on the high side, but $115 for the same drive isn't too hard to find. 8.3 PB endurance and great IOPS for the same price as a new 525GB MX300. Know which one I would trust more? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-DC-S3...263444?hash=item1c71bc80d4:g:7x4AAOSw-CpX9R90

I usually just check SMART for reallocated blocks, runtime hours, and data written. Yesterday I bought three 200GB OCZ Deneva 2 R SSDs. A Samsung 850 Evo 256 is rated at 75 TBW endurance, which is a lot (I know, review sites have logged much more than that) but these Deneva 2 SSDs are rated at something like 38 PBW (yes, Petabytes).

Lately I've been buying a lot of 400GB LSI WarpDrives on eBay for $70 shipped, and most of them are showing powered on for 3 years in SMART, with 100% life remaining. Power usage is high, but 1200MB/s at that price for eMLC, I think it's an incredible value, especially with an endurance rating of several PB.

You can catch some sweet deals on eBay for Intel and Samsung SSDs around $100 for 400GB and $200 for 960GB. They used to be nonstop but these days you just have to be patient to catch them.

This is on the high side, but $115 for the same drive isn't too hard to find. 8.3 PB endurance and great IOPS for the same price as a new 525GB MX300. Know which one I would trust more? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-DC-S3...263444?hash=item1c71bc80d4:g:7x4AAOSw-CpX9R90

You have opened me to a whole new world of possibilities. :) I hadn't considered the quality option in buying used SSDs as I generaly avoid buying used anything nowadays, but it makes a ton of sense given their lifetime and performance ratings.

I use HDDScan for basic SMART checks but I don't think it shows the amount of data accessed or any 'life' data. Do you recommend a particular third party Windows tool or just download whatever the manufacturer offers?

..:(

And I was about to start looking at larger HDDs, because buying new HDDs makes more sense than uninstalling some of the steam games I never play...:D

You have opened me to a whole new world of possibilities. :) I hadn't considered the quality option in buying used SSDs as I generaly avoid buying used anything nowadays, but it makes a ton of sense given their lifetime and performance ratings.

I use HDDScan for basic SMART checks but I don't think it shows the amount of data accessed or any 'life' data. Do you recommend a particular third party Windows tool or just download whatever the manufacturer offers?

Just check SMART values for wearout, reallocated sectors, power on hours, and data written if it's available. And if it's showing no or very low data written, but high hours, don't trust it. You can use CrystalDiskInfo if you don't have or can't get the manufacturer's drive tools.

Back