• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EMERGENCY: Is My Q9400 Overheating... What Can I Do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm eager to see an article where Intel says it's fine for an Intel CPU to be running at 90C.

Apparently their mobile site doesnt work for me ornibwould have posted a link for you... But search for "Q9400 specification" in your favorite sesrch engine. Then choose the Intel page... The url is ark. Intek. Etc. Etc... And check a spec calked tjmax. And if you are inclined you could look up what tjmax means also. It is a term used for every processor i think (even smart phones and tablets) so it cant hurt to know :)

Update:

I just spoke to a friend and he said that if my CPU is only reaching 73% usage in Task Manager it means that there is a SERIOUS FAILURE.

However, the reason the Intel Q9400 is only able to reach 73% is because I've underclocked the Q9400 to 2.00Ghz from the stock 2.66Ghz.

Am I fine? :(

Is this the correct link?: http://ark.intel.com/products/35365/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9400-6M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

Where do they mention that 90C is fine for it to be running at 24/7?
Its not on that page, sorry. I dont think ive ever seen an intel spec sheet that didnt list tjmax. That spec does exist for your chip however, and it is the spec that tells you max operating temps.

http://superuser.com/questions/654941/tcase-vs-tj-max/654952

There is a link that explains what Tcase and Tjmax are (not official but if you need a better explanation there are more to be found)

As to what you said in the post above this: you should show 100% cpu usage when using 100% of the cpu, regardless of clock speed. Imagine you had a 2ghz single core downclocked to 1ghz. If you run 1ghz of load on the cpu HWMonitor will show 100% for that core, not 50%. I hope that helps :)

Update:

I just spoke to a friend and he said that if my CPU is only reaching 73% usage in Task Manager it means that there is a SERIOUS FAILURE.

However, the reason the Intel Q9400 is only able to reach 73% is because I've underclocked the Q9400 to 2.00Ghz from the stock 2.66Ghz.

It has nothing to do with overclock/underclock: it is just the % of processing power in use. It should be in the 0-10% range when idling, and depending on the tasks, will go in the 60/80%. Very few applications use 100% of the CPU (encoding, stress tests like prime95 r Real bench).

Perfectly normal that your CPU doesn't reach 100% on daily use.

It has nothing to do with overclock/underclock: it is just the % of processing power in use. It should be in the 0-10% range when idling, and depending on the tasks, will go in the 60/80%. Very few applications use 100% of the CPU (encoding, stress tests like prime95 r Real bench).

Perfectly normal that your CPU doesn't reach 100% on daily use.

I've run Prime95 and made sure the Intel Q9400 was under full load and the Q9400 still only reaches 73-74% in Task Manager.

Update:

Clear the CMOS...

^This, clear the cmos and set everything back to default. Change the thermal paste, make sure the heatsink is dust free, properly mounted and that the fan is running properly.

No need of underclocking if you keep the stock volt: you are loosing performance with no benefit.

BTW, 68c could not be that hot either, depending on your ambient temperature ;)

Take off the heatsink, clean the heatsink, clean the top of the CPU, all with isopropyl alcohol and add a 3 cm dot of paste to the top of the CPU and put the heatsink back on and make sure all pins click when pushed down...

You do realize that 3 cm is more than an inch, right?
Pretty sure you mean 3 mm.

I thought by underclocking my Intel Q9400 from the stock 2.66Ghz to the current 2.00Ghz I'd be reducing the Q9400's temperature?

I'm really confused about this now... :(

You reduce the temperature when underclocking IF you lower the vCore. If not, the temperature decrease is marginal.

You reduce the temperature when underclocking IF you lower the vCore. If not, the temperature decrease is marginal.

Wow, really? I thought I'd be reducing the CPU's temperature by at least 5C-10C by underclocking it to 2.00Ghz from the stock 2.66Ghz.

Wow, really? I thought I'd be reducing the CPU's temperature by at least 5C-10C by underclocking it to 2.00Ghz from the stock 2.66Ghz.

Pffft....no way. 1 to 2c maybe.
To decrease temp you need to decrease voltage.

^This, clear the cmos and set everything back to default. Change the thermal paste, make sure the heatsink is dust free, properly mounted and that the fan is running properly.

No need of underclocking if you keep the stock volt: you are loosing performance with no benefit.

BTW, 68c could not be that hot either, depending on your ambient temperature ;)

What I'm also finding odd is that the CPU temperature is different to the individual CPU cores.

Take a look:

CPU Temperature: 61C
Core 1: 69C
Core 2: 68C
Core 3: 65C
Core 4: 63C

Is this normal?

What I'm also finding odd is that the CPU temperature is different to the individual CPU cores.

Take a look:

Is this normal?

Looks good if that's with a core OC under Linpack...

My Intel Q9400 is still underclocked to 2.00Ghz from the stock 2.66Ghz to reduce its temperature.

Because it's underclocked it can only reach 73% in Task Manager under full load and not 100%. Is this a bad thing for stability?

Just so that it's clear in my mind, is it safe for me to leave my Intel Q9400 the way it is for the very long term?

These are the temperatures I'm getting from the Q9400:

By leaving my CPU like this, am I risking any type of failure? Is it dangerous for me to leave the CPU at 2.00Ghz?

Last edited:
The only failure you risk is not using the CPU to it's potential. Personally I think you worry too much. That CPU should be just fine running on auto and "IF" it gets too hot your motherboard will shut it down. That's what it's designed to do. The only way that wouldn't happen is if you have disabled the safeguards built into the BIOS

Back