• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EMERGENCY: Is My Q9400 Overheating... What Can I Do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2537 RPM sounds about right for Intel CPU fan. You can use HWmonitor to check CPU utilization.

CPU Utilization:

UC = 30%
CPU #1 = 35%
CPU #2 = 32%
CPU #3 = 29%
CPU #4 = 34%

Are these fine numbers?

What does "UC" mean?

I'm using the HWMonitor app.

I hate to be asking the question again, but will the temperatures I'm currently getting be fine for the long term?

It'd be great if I can know that the Q9400 will be fine for the long term.

Temperatures from the Q9400:

CPU Temperature: 61C
Core 1: 69C
Core 2: 68C
Core 3: 65C
Core 4: 63C

Your temps are still fine even on the low side

The Q9400 will last past it's use full life with that temp 10+ years. What are you running on the PC to acquire those CPU utilization numbers?

What are you using to stress your CPU that is only hitting 73% try Prime 95, aida64 , occt. , Iinpack.

Hey man, I've been using Prime95 and other apps in the background and no matter what I try Task Manager still only reaches 73% in CPU usage.

I'm going to re-apply the thermal paste now.

Can anyone recommend me an installation video to watch?

Hey guys, I just re-applied the thermal paste and rebooted my PC.

It seems that the CPU temps have actually gone up by a few degrees from these temperatures I was getting earlier:

CPU Temperature: 65C
Core 1: 71C
Core 2: 72C
Core 3: 73C
Core 4: 70C

EDIT: Are these safe temperatures or should I try to re-apply the thermal paste?

I'm really tired so I want to re-apply the thermal paste in a couple days from now.

Are the temperatures I'm getting at the moment safe for a couple days?

IT'S FINE HOLY SMOKES LEAVE IT ALONE. It doesn't matter how many times you reapply thermal paste those temps are NORMAL.

You've got nothing to worry about until your package/core temps are hitting like 90c. And there is only a small spread between the hottest and the coolest cores so that indicates your TIM application is evenly spread and your cooler is seated properly. Don't obsess over this. You keep messing with it and you might break something.

Thanks for the replies!

Should I re-apply the thermal paste today because I'm worried I didn't apply enough thermal paste?

Back