• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EMERGENCY: Is My Q9400 Overheating... What Can I Do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreatUSA

Hey guys, I'm sorry to be creating a thread, but I need some help from the experts here.

This is my situation:
I've got an Intel Q9400 2.66Ghz that I've underclocked to 2.00Ghz.

I've kept it underclocked at 2.00Ghz for about 12 months now because I was VERY concerned with it overheating.

Here are the temperatures when the CPU is at 100% load:
System Temperature: 53C
CPU Temperature: 61C
Core 1: 69C
Core 2: 68C
Core 3: 65C
Core 4: 63C

I'm using the app 'HWMonitor' to measure the temperature of my CPU.

I forgot to say that the above temperatures have all been taken while the Q9400 is underclocked at 2.00Ghz and not the stock 2.66Ghz.

EDIT:
I don't want to buy a CPU cooler because I couldn't find one that would fit in my motherboard so I need to try something different.

Last edited:
As I recall the stock HS/F that came with those CPUs were terrible but "should" at least cool it at stock. You might need better airfolw through your case. As for aftermarket coolers I know the Hyper 212 comes with accessories to accommodate the 775 socket I have used it. I'm sure many others still do as well.

They seem quite high for the speed, did you decrease the voltage or is it still stock? Have you tried running it with the case open to see if the temps drop at all.

Heat sink and fan cleaning? Maybe the thermal paste did its time as well, time for change of TIM and remount maybe?

I'm thinking the fan simply isn't mounted properly. That's pretty common. Take it off and put it on again.

They seem quite high for the speed, did you decrease the voltage or is it still stock? Have you tried running it with the case open to see if the temps drop at all.

I think the voltage is the same, but the clock speed is at 2.00Ghz from the stock 2.66Ghz.

Heat sink and fan cleaning? Maybe the thermal paste did its time as well, time for change of TIM and remount maybe?

This. And make sure the CPU cooling fan is still turning. With equipment that old you never know.

Is my Intel Q9400 in danger of overheating if I leave it the way it is??? :( :(

Wow, REALLY?

90C 24/7 sounds very high to me!

Does that apply to all Intel CPU's?

Can someone confirm this for me because this is extremely important for me!

Take off the heatsink, clean the heatsink, clean the top of the CPU, all with isopropyl alcohol and add a 3 cm dot of paste to the top of the CPU and put the heatsink back on and make sure all pins click when pushed down...

I don't have the RealTemp app, but I am using "HWMonitor" app.

- - - Updated - - -

Take off the heatsink, clean the heatsink, clean the top of the CPU, all with isopropyl alcohol and add a 3 cm dot of paste to the top of the CPU and put the heatsink back on and make sure all pins click when pushed down...

Do you mean 3CM for the diameter dot of the thermal paste?

I don't have the RealTemp app, but I am using "HWMonitor" app.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean 3CM for the diameter dot of the thermal paste?

A blob bigger than a BB and smaller than a green pea.

Thanks, but can't I just keep using HWMonitor app?

EDIT:

I'm eager to see an article where Intel says it's fine for an Intel CPU to be running at 90C.

Last edited:
Back