• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page fault in nonpaged area and system_pte_misuse BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmeatballs

Well, after researching what causes this I stumbled upon a thread saying it is most likely caused by ram so I decided to put it here.

Anyway, I get Page fault in nonpaged area and system_pte_misuse BSODs when I log in to windows immediately.

I have a G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200MHz on my rig specifically F4-3200C16D-16GTZB. Just bought it a few days ago when I upgraded to the 7700k. It is weird how initially when I was benching my 5GHz oc for the 7700k is was working fine. Also I never tried overclocking this ram yet aside from just selecting 3200MHz XMP. Could this be a faulty ram or something else or probably faulty dimm slot?

Running memtest86 right now with both sticks on. I put the sticks on the same slot where they were when the BSODs happened. I already tried putting everything back on stock, even tried it without xmp but still went to a BSOD. I managed to stop the BSOD by taking out one stick.

Edit: Gotta add I'm using the rig on my sig.

Corrupt disk sectors can also cause this.

I would also run Crystaldiskinfo to check the SMART information on your hard drive. Windows temporarily uses hard drive space ("virtual memory" aka, "page filing"). If you hear a little jingle and see yellow instead of blue in the CrystalsiskInfo user interface, you probably have a failing drive. If nothing is turned up that seems problamatic in the SMART info, I would run chkdsk /f /r from an elevated command prompt to find and attempt repair/moving of questionable data clusters. This can take several hours to complete and may seem to get hung up at 10% but it isn't. Let it finish.

I'm using an Intel 600p ssd as my main drive. It is actually new just a week old. Can't seem to do chkdsk. Crystal disk reports its fine.

"SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE" -> That wasn't the classic one for RAM instability... I haven't seen that one... Even though I can see RAM corruption causing stuff like that...

The classic RAM instability one is the first one you mentioned, and additionally, the flippin' slot may be the cause for false file-not-found errors. I also know that RAM being unstable can cause registry hive errors. :(

I also saw 0x0000008E before with RAM not being seated properly on a socket AM2 Athlon X2 system, IIRC. I posted a lot of this, because I keep track of BSODs I got when I made an oops...

Last edited:
Well, I tried reseating the ram lets see what happens. Did a memtest run left it overnight no errors, it was with both sticks on and xmp profile.

Okay, I still get the page fault in nonpaged area. On the BSOD screen of Page fault, I see IOMap64.sys. Could this be caused by unstable cpu overclock?

(this BSOD crap is frustrating the heck out of me now. LOL)

Last edited:
Okay, I still get the page fault in nonpaged area. Could this be caused by unstable cpu overclock?

(this BSOD crap is frustrating the heck out of me now. LOL)

I saw that one once when 3D Mark 2001 SE failed. (L2 cache?)

I was far more likely to get "0x0000000A" for "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" when I had an unstable CPU OC...

Do you get this page fault error message a stock frequencies and voltages?

I would set your system to default and test, then you will be able to tell if the problem is hardware.

Yes it also happened on stock settings without XMP profile. But mostly its just page fault in nonpaged area. Is one run of memtest86 good enough? I ran it overnight then it finished with no errors with CPU OC and XMP profile on.

Yes it also happened on stock settings without XMP profile. But mostly its just page fault in nonpaged area. Is one run of memtest86 good enough? I ran it overnight then it finished with no errors with CPU OC and XMP profile on.

Yes one run of memtest86 is good enough. How well does RealBench and Prime95 run?

It is stable on prime95. Although on realbench it isn't, I think it gets a BSOD around after 2-3hrs when I leave it overnight then when I wake up I am greeted by windows log on(meaning it must've bsod for some reason). I'll probably watch my pc closely when I run realbench later and see what bsod it gets. I am also trying to gradually increase CPU Vcore maybe it was because of that? But isn't the page fault bsod mainly from bad memory?

It is stable on prime95. Although on realbench it isn't, I think it gets a BSOD around after 2-3hrs when I leave it overnight then when I wake up I am greeted by windows log on(meaning it must've bsod for some reason). I'll probably watch my pc closely when I run realbench later and see what bsod it gets. I am also trying to gradually increase CPU Vcore maybe it was because of that? But isn't the page fault bsod mainly from bad memory?

The error can be caused by miss calculation of the CPU.

When it comes to the CPU it can send the incorrect data to the memory or retrieve the correct data from memory then miscalculate the data the CPU receives from memory.

Are you using a dual boot of some sort? I have mine set to clear page file every time I restart or shut down. I don't run a dual boot but if you do it is recommended to do that.

Back