• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new, maybe smaller case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Hello everyone.
I'm looking for some good suggestions. Currently I have this case. BitFenix Shinobi w/ Window.
I've had it for a while. Its nice vastly roomy, but the fan configuration needs a little update IMO as well as ports on it.

Hence why I'm looking at a potentially new case or at least trying to get an idea of what is out there. I'd like something that is no bigger than this but I wouldn't mind something smaller if possible. My computer is listed in my sig. I have SSD's in the case, a DVD drive (probably upgrade to a blu-ray soon) and a GPU/PSU. Really nothing special. Only thing I can think of since I do have a tall heatsink is making sure there is good clearance between the board and case side to accommodate a large heatsink. And if I can get a fan to push air directly onto the GPU area for improved fresh air cooling.

So with that any suggestions or potential brands people might suggest right now? The case has to be stand up (can't lay flat) as its sitting in a pull out shelf that sits inside a desk cabinet.

Thanks Blaylock. Was peaking in that thread as well checking out different ones, very well laid out.

Going to take a gander at these and compare :) I just have a feeling I need something newer, little better designed with cable management as the one I have was a first gen one of the company and it does have nice features just feels like I need a little more.

Edit: Oh boy... The FD Arc Midi R2 and the Define R4/R5 series.... Think you've pointed me in the proper direction!

Last edited:
Thought about taking the ODD external and dropping to mITX?
Lots of small options there :)

If he just drops the ODD the options become endless. They're making so many small cases without them now it's kind of ridiculous, especially for us old timers who still like their ODD's.

If he just drops the ODD the options become endless. They're making so many small cases without them now it's kind of ridiculous, especially for us old timers who still like their ODD's.

External ODD is the way to go... then you only need one for all your PC's.

ODD would be nice, I'm game for that. Since I am looking at a potential Blu-Ray drive of some type. Guess only downside would to no future fancy LCD/Fan Controller :) Then been ages since I used anything like that.

Though I have a ATX board and sadly just got it recently. Not looking at upgrading/side stepping into a new Mobo :)

BTW currently looking at these two...

Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Window Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Black Window High-Airflow ATX Midtower Computer Case

Like the fact that high heatsinks are allowed, flexible with options inside (maybe potential water in future....), removable hdd racks which YES, hidden SSD drives (got 2 so great!), and cable management. Physical case looks to be slightly larger than what I have currently, but only 2x 5 1/4" bays vs 3x which I have now. At the time that was very important for me as I had a removable HDD cage (2 bays) + optical.

Last edited:
Yep. I love my Phanteks case too, but I would not call it small. Not sure if any of their smaller ATX cases have ODD bays which is why I didn't mention them. That Evolv is an awesome looking case if you're willing to forego the external bays.

Yeah I see that.. not small by any means but gives lots of space. Not cheap either. :) What Phanteks do you have Blaylock?

Also looked at Fractal Design's other ODD options with the Define S and Define C series... Define C seems to be smaller but costs more than others so guess at that whats the point partially :)

Really like the fact these have the hidden SSD's behind the mobo. Good use of space.

I'd have to see how much space I have under the desk on my slide out shelf. I know I'm not taking up all the space currently but my case is only 205mm... these are roughly 25mm bigger. Height is similar if not a little taller which I can forgive due to functionality potentially.

Got some thinking to do :)

Yeah I have had a few of them. Been a few years since I owned one of their cases.

I have had both revisions of the Arc Midi. Both have been very well engineered cases. They may not have the greatest build quality, but they have been nice cases. Fhash/Bling is not what they are about either and that is a huge plus to me. For the money they are gonna be hard to beat all around

What Phanteks do you have Blaylock?

I have the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe. Great case but I would classify it as a true full tower. It's to large to fit in the space designated for the it in my desk so it sits on top off to the side.

Here's a couple older pics from when I was testing the system out while waiting for some water cooling components and one from the completed build.
20160622_191903.jpg

If you look in the background in the corner you can see a traditional Mid Tower to give you a size comparison. The Case is supposed to fit in the bay under the Monitor stand in these desks. The Luxe is too tall.
20160624_160752.jpg

And how the internals look now but prior to the wire management. I'll try to get a shot of the current desk view. Pretty happy with it.
20160806_135710_001.jpg

Yea those Phantek cases are awesome, did a build for a guy last year in a mitx case of theirs. It was an awesome case to build in.

can't find the thread anymore ??? but mitx does not work here anyways

Design, layout, Cable management, Drive locations and they have a ton of great innovative accessories you can get for their cases as well

http://www.phanteks.com/Accessories.html

Back