• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blu-Ray Reader/Burner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Curious what is the best/optimal drive to get. Most likely it won't be used much at least right now but might be used more for ripping blu-rays in the future, and potential back up potential on re-writables.

As for type... Internal and External are both options right now. Might lean more on external as it is flexible to move around and potentially use with other PC's if needed.

Last edited:
I usually stick with LG and they haven't disappointed me

Pioneer makes some very good ones, LG is solid. Those are probably the ones I would look at first.

Any ones in specific at least with the Panasonics? Just curious as I'm looking and seems like there might be only a few models to choose from.

I usually stick with LG and they haven't disappointed me

I'm really only seeing one version and its freaking huge. Basically an internal drive in an external case. Really seems like its the best of the best, course I'd probably like it a little more portable. :)

Ooh yeah now we are talking... Sadly no equipment to utilize 4k just yet. Most likely I'm looking at something sooner, least its an easy upgrade no removing anything from a case :)

Well some more digging into it...
While slower than the LG or a few others on the market it seems to be the one everyone likes pointing at.

Pioneer USB 3.0 BD/DVD/CD Portable Burner Model BDR-XD05B

I see there is a newer version but not much is said on that one compared to this older one.

Pioneer. They're all pretty good.

Doh you got me there... dang auto correct on the phone. Least it put a proper brand in there hehe.

Slower isn't necessarily a bad thing. I never burn music CDs at full speed because they don't sound as good, even when I had my Plextor. And the Plextor was THE CD burner to have. CDs I burned on that 9 years ago sound better than anything I've burned since, on a wide variety of hardware. An extra few minutes that translates to better quality is no sacrifice.

Any ones in specific at least with the Panasonics? Just curious as I'm looking and seems like there might be only a few models to choose from.

I'm really only seeing one version and its freaking huge. Basically an internal drive in an external case. Really seems like its the best of the best, course I'd probably like it a little more portable. :)

Ooh yeah now we are talking... Sadly no equipment to utilize 4k just yet. Most likely I'm looking at something sooner, least its an easy upgrade no removing anything from a case :)

Note, that in order to play 4K, at this time a Kaby Lake processor is apparently required for some reason of decoding some DRM that as I understand it other hardware has the capability, but... at this time is a no-go.

once again vendors in each others graces/pockets
pretty sad

Note, that in order to play 4K, at this time a Kaby Lake processor is apparently required for some reason of decoding some DRM that as I understand it other hardware has the capability, but... at this time is a no-go.

Yeah saw that in the message. Some reason I think that is all BS but... time will tell.

Back