• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My friend fried his titan x pascal . gave me the dead card . question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really, really hope you don't try to RMA that. Would be a completely unethical, shi7@$$ thing to do.

That said....the repairs would likely cost almost as much as a new GPU. Worth asking, though.

Please call the police and get your friend arrested, what he did is horrifying =S

Btw if he shorted the core there might not be much left to do apart from changing the core.

I really, really hope you don't try to RMA that. Would be a completely unethical, shi7@$$ thing to do.

That said....the repairs would likely cost almost as much as a new GPU. Worth asking, though.

Well, with the sh.tload of money we give these guys every year, one "dodgy" RMA won't hurt...

Fraud is fraud.

It's the same as running an insurance scam.

I guess it's what you can sleep with at night. Me.... I like my integrity.

from the pics it looks like you could possibly solder it back on. dosent look like you ripped any traces. put some heat to that sink and see if you can pry it off, or find another r22 choke to solder on.

from the pics it looks like you could possibly solder it back on. dosent look like you ripped any traces. put some heat to that sink and see if you can pry it off, or find another r22 choke to solder on.

What about the fried die

What about the fried die

that on the other hand will still be an issue :/

you would have to get a new die and have it re balled, and soldered back onto the board.

you will also not know what other components you fried during this, just because it visually looks "ok" it might not be internally.

How do you know the die itself is fried for sure?

Edit: with my low end ethic, I would still RMA it...

Look at the damages. Can it be possible
Notice how it's missing a choke . There's a small hole in the pcb too .

What I want to know is, why did he put HS's on coils? All these are is ceramic iron cores with wire wrapped around them, no need for HS's at all.
choke.jpg

Can't you just RMA it?

Clean it properly (pemanent TIM glu is not that "permanent", and can be clean with acetone), put the HSF back, and well, "What happened to my card?!?" "It burnt all by itself!!!" ;)

Bah, if you clean it well, I am not eve sure they look in details... Worth a try!

They won't blacklist you if they notice something, just send you the card back. ;)

Edit: and the fact that the socket is burnt will focus their attention on this :D

Can't you just glue back the choke, if you still have it?

Edit: I've RMA'ed a 780ti a few years back with a choke broken in half and glued back as a whole, lol!

Edit: with my low end ethic, I would still RMA it...

We don't condone that kind of chat here. I also think it's against the ToS of the forums here explaining to someone how to game the system that's in place for the good honest folks. This adds cost to the products we end up purchasing or the company cuts back on things. It's not good for the industry and not for the rest of us either.

Lets be wise here.

OP, you could try getting it repaired for possibly a hefty price from the GPU's mfger or some private shop or just throw it out. Haven't seen $1200+ mistake in a while. Sheesh

Back