• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VPN?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

So I have gotten more paranoid In my old age but I think I need a VPN. I am not even sure that what I want is a VPN or that it can do what I need it to do so I am just going to ask. I know that the kids stream to their phones from the wifi. I don't really know what the content is and really don't care but I also don't want my ISP to send me any letters about one of them downloading a file they shouldn't and losing my internet. I also don't like the fact that I seem to be getting ads specific to something that I have looked at on the net on my home page. Is it possible to setup a VPN by someone that knows nothing about networking, me? Is it possible to set it up so that whatever I do or look at does not go through my ISP directly? In other words they know I am using data but first it goes through a server before it gets here and hides the actual content? I have looked at a few companies like Digital Ocean that have pretty good speeds but I don't know if a VPN is even for this kind of thing. Does this even make sense?

Edit; I don't mind paying a minimal price for doing this, so if there are specific companies that can do this and are very simple to use please suggest them. Thanks

i pay $40 a year for private internet access, its ok but it does like to drop connection on occasion kind of drives me nuts when im doing something online with it for a prolonged amount of time.

So I did a lot of research since I posted the OP. After a lot of dead ends and a lot of information that was clearly above my head in so far as the amount of knowledge that I would have to accumulate just to configure a service from my end, I zeroed in on specific companies. Visiting their websites was pretty time consuming, finding out about ease of configuration and binging the location of their servers was easy enough to whittle the list down to just a few. If you have any interest in a VPN, make sure that they have several servers in your country or your internet speed will turn to crap. After reviewing tutorials for configuration and ranking in ease of use and cost based on what I was looking for, I went with IPVanish. It was like 5.49 a month and I paid for a years worth up front. I really was as easy as DL'ing the software and choosing the country and click on the connect button. It auto connects to a sever based on speed and changes it on the fly for closer connections. I tested this by using different speedtest programs and choosing different servers. I was very surprised that it was actually faster then my straight connection with ISP. It also has programs for smart TV's , phones and devices that I hadn't even considered. I just found it last night and haven't had much time to explore all of the uses but it was exactly what I was looking for. If you have seen the Snowden movie, you know what I mean.

Back