• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 7970 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now that would truly be a mod for it Loch! :D Though maybe you could hook the Epower to the cat.

What do you get when you combine an Epower with a cat.

Good luck on finding a E-power. I've been beating the bushes for a couple for months now. Nobody has any new, nobody wants to part with any old or even used. It would seem only the the elitist of the elite get these.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but that is funny as $%^& Lochekey! :D I feel your pain though having two of my own they're mischievous lil devils sometimes.

Have two also. They think they're raccoons.

They're not readily available. Only a few around. Even the top guns can't get their hands on them.

Ill just have to keep my eyes out for one popping up somewhere. Ill let you know if I find one for sale Scotty in case you want to snatch it up

The other option is a zombie card. Find an old 580 matrix or similar high power card that's broken and hack the power section off of it.

I have talked to mllrkllr (how do you pronounce this) in the past and he gave me some pointers and links for where to get components.

So I have put my second card under the knife and this one was more successful.

0207172109_HDR~2.jpg

I still need to do the OCP mod as well as PLL and then add the voltage monitors on but it is progress. I am thinking about going to smaller wire, what has everyone else used. The 2 wires I have tried so far are both solid 24g. One has a thicker silicone jacket and the other was pulled from a Cat5e cable. I'm thinking of going to 28 or 30 gauge stranded.

Thanks Blaylock I'll see if I can dig up some old IDE cables and compare them to what I have.

Looks good Lochekey but you're right the wire is too big. Makes it harder to work with. I found some small braided wire and remove some of the strands to make it even smaller. I peel a few back , cut them off and then solder the remaining ones together. I found soldering the wire first makes it easier to connect it as well.

Well I broke down and just ordered some 30g stranded wire as I could not find anything lying around that I was happy with. Wire should be here friday, thank you amazon prime.

In the meantime I figured I would add the voltage monitors and secure everything with glue. Viewing from the face of the card the left readout will be vgpu. The right readout will be either vmem or vpll based on the switch mounted up top. Did not decide to do this double read out until after connecting and glueing the vmem wire so I had to splice in and it got a little ugly.

8379.jpeg
8377.jpeg

Back