• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 7970 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
So this is by no means anything new and exciting but I figure I would post it up to get help as I go along.

I am going to try to mod my 7970 to see if I can get it performing better. I will be foloowing the concepts laid down by Bobnova here.

So I will be putting this under the knife shortly.

View attachment 187615

Figure I will start with adding voltage monitoring with a few of these.

0128171157.jpg

Gonna start on this later today so any words of advice in advance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 0128171026.jpg
    0128171026.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 650
Got my volt gauges attached. Man are my soldering skills rusty. Need to get a didn't point for my iron.

0128171647.jpg

Thanks Manny im really excited for this one. got it fired up for a second to check the volt gauges and they are working well. Had to order a new tip for my soldering iron which will not be here until wed. so my progress is temporarily on hold. Doing this in hopes of getting a gpu pot in the near future and then taking this thing cold.

Thanks Manny im really excited for this one. got it fired up for a second to check the volt gauges and they are working well. Had to order a new tip for my soldering iron which will not be here until wed. so my progress is temporarily on hold. Doing this in hopes of getting a gpu pot in the near future and then taking this thing cold.
This is something I've wanted to try for a while, I have a few older cards I'd like to do this to. Finding the time though will be tough for the time being, so I'm living vicariously through you. A Gpu pot makes things that much more fun. :D

Well the first board is done for:(. Will post pics shortly. I am locking my cat up for the next try might get thinner wire too.

0131172005b~2.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch! I would continue to practice on that dead board before moving on to the next one. When I did the volt mod to my Giga MoBo I used a Dead MSI board just to practice with those tiny solder points.

"Success follows preparation in equal measures." - Lord Dyrr (R.A. Salvadore)

I would not recommend allowing the cat to do the soldering on the next one either.

Unless something is missing you might be able to clean that up
What were you trying to connect to? The CHIL or pads?

Well I was joking to the resistor connected to the bright up trace. You can see the connection in the below picture[noyt muy const work]. Cat ran across the table while I was trying to clean that connection up and clothelined herself on the wire which resulted in yanking the resistor followed by me jamming the iron into the chil and subsequently my thumb.

0131172006c~2.jpg

Cat ran across the table while I was trying to clean that connection up and clothelined herself on the wire which resulted in yanking the resistor followed by me jamming the iron into the chil and subsequently my thumb.
Sorry but that is funny as $%^& Lochekey! :D I feel your pain though having two of my own they're mischievous lil devils sometimes.

Last edited:
I love my cats but that one almost went out the window.

No the resistor is in pieces.

I was told that I might be able too put an e power board on this to salvage it. Any thoughts on that? Will it work and where can I get one?

Yea I'm familiar with that article. I got to play with one at the get together last summer. Trying to find one is going to be difficult though. I read an article on kingpins suite the other day about a new rev 3.0 version coming out soon. I'll see if I can dig that article up.

1.jpg

There's a reason cats congregate to circles.

OK back on topic. (In my defense Locke is the official cat herder and I am the official cat hunter)

Back