• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Almost no will to play games. Or a Video games burnout.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M@rk

In the last year i almost didnt play games (Maybe 150 Hours the whole year) But i DO want to play games, Its just that i dont want to play without reason.
I replayed Dishonored and finished the game (In about a week) And then i begun playing the 'The knife of Dunwall' DLC But i stopped at the last mission or chapter (Total of 3). I really loved it but i just dont want to play it without reason.
I started playing another game like FarCry BloodDragon but im afraid i will leave that game too (Without finishing it).
I want to start playing Fallout 4 after i finish FC BD but i afraid of the same thing above.
Any solution for this? I thought of limiting the time i play it everyday (Like 2 hours per day) but i dont know if it will work. I need to get back and finish 'The knife of Dunwall' First.

I'm in a slump too.. i started downloading the free F2P/P2W games on steam just to pass time, but usually uninstall within a week.. there's no real explanation for it.. just kind of like.. meh..

I chalk it up to growing up.. I'm almost 40, got a 3rd kid on the way and play time was already down to <2hrs a day if i was lucky (including weekends). Real life isn't really taking more time, just by the time I'm sitting down to play something.. I'm just not all there to want to play.. so.. yeah. Old age or exhausted.. something, but I'm in the same boat.

Try UT4, it's free to play, but much better as many pay games, really!

Well polished, no bugs, fast, nervous, nice map design...

I'm in a slump too.. i started downloading the free F2P/P2W games on steam just to pass time, but usually uninstall within a week.. there's no real explanation for it.. just kind of like.. meh..

I chalk it up to growing up.. I'm almost 40, got a 3rd kid on the way and play time was already down to <2hrs a day if i was lucky (including weekends). Real life isn't really taking more time, just by the time I'm sitting down to play something.. I'm just not all there to want to play.. so.. yeah. Old age or exhausted.. something, but I'm in the same boat.

Never too old.
Probably exhausted, Try playing games on the weekend when you have more free time, Try playing multiplayer with your kids too!

I think I understand what you're saying. It happens to me as well. I love playing games and don't think I'll ever give it up.

I tend to have some requirements for games: They either need a really good story, or plenty of stuff to do. As for the latter, I like Fallout 4. If you get tired of exploring or killing stuff, you can let your creative juices flow while building a settlement. There are a couple of, imho, mods that can really change the 'settlement building' game.

Having said that, I don't play a lot of games. I rarely play FPS because I find them boring and repetitive. I do understand why people like them and I am most definitely not trying to take that away. Usually, I'll bounce around between 3 games at a time that fulfill my previously stated requirements (not all games do; there's not much of a story in Fallout 4 for example). At some point, and I'm guessing Dishonored is like this for you, I end up playing a game through enough times I'm just done with it. Time to find a new game that will fill that void (whatever it is the game does for you). I really enjoyed Far Cry 3, but after so many playthroughs, I'm done with it. For games like that, the ones I really enjoyed, I put them on the shelf for 3-5 years and maybe revisit them for old times sake.

So I would propose 2-4 games that you can really enjoy, bounce around between them as your mood fancies, and play them as you desire. Forcing yourself to start and finish a game can cause burnout. Just my 2 cents.

I think I understand what you're saying. It happens to me as well. I love playing games and don't think I'll ever give it up.

I tend to have some requirements for games: They either need a really good story, or plenty of stuff to do. As for the latter, I like Fallout 4. If you get tired of exploring or killing stuff, you can let your creative juices flow while building a settlement. There are a couple of, imho, mods that can really change the 'settlement building' game.

Having said that, I don't play a lot of games. I rarely play FPS because I find them boring and repetitive. I do understand why people like them and I am most definitely not trying to take that away. Usually, I'll bounce around between 3 games at a time that fulfill my previously stated requirements (not all games do; there's not much of a story in Fallout 4 for example). At some point, and I'm guessing Dishonored is like this for you, I end up playing a game through enough times I'm just done with it. Time to find a new game that will fill that void (whatever it is the game does for you). I really enjoyed Far Cry 3, but after so many playthroughs, I'm done with it. For games like that, the ones I really enjoyed, I put them on the shelf for 3-5 years and maybe revisit them for old times sake.

So I would propose 2-4 games that you can really enjoy, bounce around between them as your mood fancies, and play them as you desire. Forcing yourself to start and finish a game can cause burnout. Just my 2 cents.

Okay thanks :)

Have you played the Half Life games? Their story is awesome. If you didnt play Dishonored try it too the story is awesome and there are alot of was to complete the game and two endings depends on how you played (Good ending is if you didnt kill at all or killed very little and bad ending is if you killed alot), Also you can do it stealthy or loud, I chose no kill and stealthy and did pretty well imo.
TES : Oblivion and Skyrim have awesome stories too.

What genre of games do you really enjoy? And do you have just PC, or consoles too?
I think it's just finding a game that you really enjoy to get you back in the groove.
I was bouncing around from game to game for a while, never really finishing anything. I would get in to the game for a while and then just kinda drop it. I think it was due to nothing really pulling me in (like the type of game that has you thinking about it even when you aren't playing). I picked up The Last of Us a while back on PS3 for like $8 and couldn't put it down. Best game I had played in a long time. Then I bounced around to a few others until FF XV came out. I only get an hour here or there to play and I usually find myself staying up waaay to late playing it. I'm pretty excited to pick up RE7 once I'm done with FF now, looks like a great PC game.
I couldn't get in to a lot of the 'must have' games that were coming out on PC, that might just be your problem too. If it's not something you REALLY enjoy, you'll grow bored of it after a while. If you can download any sort of demos for games, just keep trying them until you find one you absolutely love and hopefully that'll get you back in the groove!

What genre of games do you really enjoy? And do you have just PC, or consoles too?
I think it's just finding a game that you really enjoy to get you back in the groove.
I was bouncing around from game to game for a while, never really finishing anything. I would get in to the game for a while and then just kinda drop it. I think it was due to nothing really pulling me in (like the type of game that has you thinking about it even when you aren't playing). I picked up The Last of Us a while back on PS3 for like $8 and couldn't put it down. Best game I had played in a long time. Then I bounced around to a few others until FF XV came out. I only get an hour here or there to play and I usually find myself staying up waaay to late playing it. I'm pretty excited to pick up RE7 once I'm done with FF now, looks like a great PC game.
I couldn't get in to a lot of the 'must have' games that were coming out on PC, that might just be your problem too. If it's not something you REALLY enjoy, you'll grow bored of it after a while. If you can download any sort of demos for games, just keep trying them until you find one you absolutely love and hopefully that'll get you back in the groove!

The games do pull me in, Its just that i loose the will to play the game after a week or so. Say Fallout games or FarCry games, They really do pull me in but after some time im just like, Eh, And stop playing them, Usually i dont play any game at all when it comes to the 'Eh' mood.

Never too old.
Probably exhausted, Try playing games on the weekend when you have more free time, Try playing multiplayer with your kids too!

+1, we talked about this in another thread and these 2 sentences pretty much sums it up. You need a game with a good story and plenty to do or friends IRL there with you to really get the competitive edge going :thup:

Right now I'm in a similar boat, but I also get into different modes. Sometimes I need a good story with fun mechanics, other times I need a multiplayer game with several friends playing, and every so once in a while I get so anti-social I dive into the oldest single player game I used to enjoy that I can find for weeks, if not months.

While I am infatuated with Elite Dangerous right now I unfortunately don't have hours upon hours available to pour into it like I did with WoW (the last MMO I played while in high school and doing undergrad in college - oh boy did I have nothing but time).

So my struggle right now usually comes with "Can I play for 4-6 hours right now and accomplish enough that I feel is well worth my time spent?" If Yes, I will play with the intention of trying to accomplish a predetermined goal I've set for myself (get "x" amount of credits, buy "x" ship, explore "x", etc...) that is reasonable for that playing time.

If No, I tend to resort to games that only last 20-30 minutes such as custom arcade games on SC2. Either way I can't say that I enjoy playing either of these titles as much as I used to enjoy playing HL2/CSS, Diablo 2, Star Wars: Galaxies, WoW, City of Heroes... I could go on and on with this list of games I thought were insanely good (considering that I have played all of them for well over 5000 hours each).

I think a lot of the initial "wonder and amazement" of games has worn off with me. It used to be that we were making huge graphical leaps and bounds which each rendition of a particular game. There used to be an introduction of revolutionary game mechanics (thinking of Red Faction here - each sequel took their destruction mechanic to a whole new level).

Now we get spoon fed the same mechanics over and over again within the same type of gameplay (how many shooters out there like TF2 now? CoD? Battlefield?). My best observation I can make that is a lot of gaming companies have gotten comfortable with purely making money. Yes, that's the goal so you don't go out of business... but I don't see big title companies taking risks on new game concepts that could change the way we see and view the rest of the titles released that year. In my opinion there just really isn't a game that stands out as an original design with original concepts. It all is just kind of a blur from one game to the next these last couple of years for me.

If you have a WiiU, the new Legend of Zelda game: Breath of the Wild, Should make for decent gameplay.

March 3rd. :)

I, Uh...Own only one WiiU game, and that BoW will be my last buy for it. :)

I just wish they would make the switch to PC like Final Fantasy is making. lol.

If you have a WiiU, the new Legend of Zelda game: Breath of the Wild, Should make for decent gameplay.

March 3rd. :)

I, Uh...Own only one WiiU game, and that BoW will be my last buy for it. :)

I just wish they would make the switch to PC like Final Fantasy is making. lol.

Nah i dont own a WiiU. Super Mario Maker is a nice game, Check it out.

Does anyone play Rust or Insurgency here? Would love to play with someone just for fun.

I've been interested in Rust for some time. I used to play ARK: Survival Evolved a lot and was even hosting my own server for a while.

I'd like to see the differences through the survival genre, but I don't know how I feel about spending 20 bucks on a game I might only play for a few hours and get bored of repetitive game play.

ARK is amazing in almost every aspect except the fact that they have released so much content and the community has created an incredible amount of mods that you almost never get to utilize the end game materials, items, etc unless you plan on cheating/playing at increased rates - OR - you play on an official server that never gets reset and it takes you months to accumulate the resources you need to reach end game.

Rust seems more PvP orientated and that attracts me as much as it pushes me away from it. I love the idea of raiding and looting, but it's not nearly as fun when you get into a game several months after it's launch and all the other players are way ahead of you.

I guess what I am saying is give me a good reason to buy and play Rust :)

I've been interested in Rust for some time. I used to play ARK: Survival Evolved a lot and was even hosting my own server for a while.

I'd like to see the differences through the survival genre, but I don't know how I feel about spending 20 bucks on a game I might only play for a few hours and get bored of repetitive game play.

ARK is amazing in almost every aspect except the fact that they have released so much content and the community has created an incredible amount of mods that you almost never get to utilize the end game materials, items, etc unless you plan on cheating/playing at increased rates - OR - you play on an official server that never gets reset and it takes you months to accumulate the resources you need to reach end game.

Rust seems more PvP orientated and that attracts me as much as it pushes me away from it. I love the idea of raiding and looting, but it's not nearly as fun when you get into a game several months after it's launch and all the other players are way ahead of you.

I guess what I am saying is give me a good reason to buy and play Rust :)

Watch some of Vertiigo's videos on Rust, Its really funny and interesting.

And dont buy it at full price, Wait for a sale :)

I just gave a key away for free. :( I paid 10 bucks and that included 6 other games.

Watch the HumbleBundle and other bundle sites, it comes up regularly on those.

Anyone who games on PC and does not keep an eye on HumbleBundle is crazy. I have bought so many games for almost nothing. It also opens you up to games that you would not buy but for a buck or two .... why not.

Back