• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange random click

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

So as title says I got those clicks from old HDD I have put in my new build, far as I can tell its like one click in few days. I would know
if its failing or had bad sectors I ran diagnostics and nothing is found (one in windows). Win installation is on it and nothing odd happens
when it clicks. So I assume its that automatic defragmantation doing it or some similar activity or its just going bad. When I start up pc
it have that spining sound and one or two click before it boots far as I remember it used to do that in old pc, but it would never click while I was doing something at random. I just want to know is this normal?

Said HDD is Samsung HD502HJ 500gb.

I don't know exactly but I think around 6-8 years. It haven been used for long time, it was just collecting dust when I picked it up about 2 years ago.

Well I will know for sure when windows starts to fail and when it starts to click like mad. I had issues with drives before on old pc so I know more or less when they start to fail for sure. Wouldn't there be errors in "Error Checking" if its something serious? I never used it in win10 before, I remember from XP and 7 that if the drive is bad in any way there would be some reports.

Hi @demien88!

The build in tools of the OS are not the best when it comes to drive diagnostics, so I'd suggest to make a backup of your data on another location first (so it could be safely secured there) and run a test on the drive with the manufacturers tool which should be available for download form the official website.

Let us know how it went and feel free to upload some screenshots with the results so we can take a look. :)

Tnx on advice I will try with it.
Is this the tool I need? https://www.lifewire.com/samsung-hutil-review-2624563

This one should do the job, but do have in mind that it's a bootable diagnostic program. Also, do have in mind the listed con in the description ('Also functions as a data destruction tool') because you can accidently destroy your data - just follow some guide on how to test it with this software. :)

I have seen warning. I think I will keep that drive as second one for storage until it gets busted. In meantime I will test it with few other programs. That one will be last resort since its bootable

Back