• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Sata drive at 36,000+ hours of power on time -Time to replace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope.

He saying that after you fix a bad sector, it won't show up as as bad sector anymore.

Nope.

He saying that after you fix a bad sector, it won't show up as as bad sector anymore.

As I reread his post I don't think he's saying it's fixed. He's saying it's marked as bad and is not used anymore.

More than likely it was a sector with a simple error due to me knocking out the OEM recovery part of the drive - Doesn't mean that part of it was bad, it was probrably scrambled and showed up as an error.

Doing a complete drive wipe with DBAN is what fixed it and now the error is gone, that much I can tell you but it took wiping the entire drive to do it.
Fdisk and all else I tried coudn't make it go away so that's what I had to do in the end.

If you don't have a DBAN disk, grab a copy of the program then burn it to a disk and it will come in handy one day.

Get MHDD, such as from HDDguru.com or Hiren's Ultimate Boot CD, and run its surface scan because it shows both outright bad and marginal sectors.

I don't know if drives with fluid bearings normally become noisy as the running hours pile up, as ball bearings do.

Back