• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm losing my mind over my next build processor...really...... I need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I've narrowed by list to

Ryzen 8c/16t

I'm very turned off by the 6900's price tag and due to the fact that AMD is claiming that Ryzen is going to match the high end Broadwell-E's performance at less cost.

Soooooooo.......

New build will need to be top of the line for gaming, very good for content creation,3D rendering,encoding and such spare no expenses.

Given all the specs involved with the above chips which one although AMD's claims have yet to be proven outside a demo event which one would you choose? Whatever I choose is going to be paired with either some Asus Strix 1080 OC editions or dual Pascal Titan X's

I've got some decent money to throw around but this will be my last build for coming years so I need it to be a powerhouse.

Build me a do it all machine

Budget - $ 8000

I would wait for REAL Ryzen benchmarks and build then.

$8K ehh... you can get away with 1/3 of that and have your rig last for 'the coming years'.

I'll wait until Ryzen is around to build... otherwise, its simply 6850K (more PCIe lanes since you want to SLI), X99 board, 4x8GB DDR4 3200 CL15/16, etc. Do you need a case (your choice really)? Power supply? Monitor? Keyboard? Mouse with this monster overkill budget? Are you running 4K which you would really need a 2 1080's or two overpriced Titans?

Hold out for the 1080 Ti's

a few bucks less than the Titans.

AMD has to put up some retail results for me to be a believer

With that budget you can basically do what ever you would like

I would wait for 3 things to drop --

Ryzen
Vega
1080ti

I think those three could determine the builds for the upcoming time period. But with that level of budget (and to harp/echo EarthDog's question -- what all is this including?) essentially anything is possible and depends on what the needed specs are. How much hard drive space do you need, how much needs/can be spinning disk vs flash, do you have a NAS for backup/storage, what resolution do you plan on using for the machine, etc.

Spend 8K now on 6900K and titans have a junk rig that chews excessive power in 5-10 years. (Although it will be awesome in the meantime - but how much more awesome.........20%?)

Spend 2K every 2 years and have a great system for the next 10 years.

Spend 8K now on 6900K and titans have a junk rig that chews excessive power in 5-10 years. (Although it will be awesome in the meantime - but how much more awesome.........20%?)

Spend 2K every 2 years and have a great system for the next 10 years.

QFT!

Wise words!

Back