• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which loop for which componets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zinsco

Motherboard broke so gonna build again. This time with less rads and cramped space, but I do want to reuse cooling equipment that I have. Gonna do 2 loops again partly because I have a dual pump/res and it will bug me to not use one side of the res.

One loop will have 480 rad and the other will have 2-120 rads. I'm gonna cool the motherboard, cpu, and only one card this time.

Here is my question: Should I put the cpu/motherboard on the 480 rad and graphics card on the 2-120 rads or the other way around?

Asus Mazimus IX Formula
i7-7700K
GeForce GTX 1070

Also, I have all gentle typhoon fans push/pull on my rads 6 years running and was thinking even though they are working good right now I should replace them. Is 6 years a long time or would I be fine to just use same existing fans?

6x120 is more than enough for everything overclocked to the moon!

The fans, well, if they ain't broken... No reason to replace them, and if for whatever reason they show signs of failing, it's not the worse thing to replace "minute"!

Edit: I'd do a s you suggest for the rads. 480 for the gpu and 240 for the cpu (CPU 100W highly OC'ed, and GPU maybe 250W, high OC).

Yeah the 480 will do great for the gpu. The 240 will do nicely for the cpu. Don't need any more raddage unless you're going dual gpu.

Alright, sounds good. So having the motherboard included in the loop with the cpu changes nothing? Go with 240 for the cpu/motherboard and 480 for the gpu?

Also, those rad fans are fine to use. If you don't want them, just throw them my way. :D

Why not just go one loop and use the pumps and res in series?

Now that is an interesting idea. What does everyone think of that idea? Would all the components benefit better from having 6-120 rads and probably better flow with 2-pumps all in series instead of splitting it up on 2-loops?

Or just one loop with one rad. It's a 150W gpu and 91W cpu... you aren't hitting much over 300W and have 4x120mm worth of rad... single pump...

Worried about the pump crapping out?? Just have the board shutdown on cpu temps.....which the cpu does by itself anyway.

1 rad, 1 pump... Plenty of cooling..K.I.S.S. :)

Back