• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 1070 SC ACX3.0 or EVGA 980 ti Kingpin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tír na nÓg

Well,

To follow the other thread...

The 1080 ti being around the corner, I am about to pull the trigger on an EVGA GPU (will use step up when 1080ti is out).

I could pick either an EVGA SC 1070 for £380, or a 980 ti Kingpin for £450.

Whatever the choice, the GPU will be replaced by a 1080 ti at launch.

What do you think my fellows overclockers?

What are you looking to do with it? If you're looking to take it cold or getting boints on the bot, get the kingpin. If you're looking for performance the 1070 will outperform the 980ti in most cases, from what I've read.

^Yep, won't get it cold before I grab a new rig (I use my daily driver for benching ATM, and can't afford to kill it...).

Out of the box, the 1070 performs better, but I guess the KingPin has more overclocking headroom...

Pfff.. Tough choice (first world problem in other words :D).

^Yep, won't get it cold before I grab a new rig (I use my daily driver for benching ATM, and can't afford to kill it...).

Out of the box, the 1070 performs better, but I guess the KingPin has more overclocking headroom...

Pfff.. Tough choice (first world problem in other words :D).
On ambient cooling the overclocking headroom difference may be marginal at best. It's really only when pushing the cards to the limit using sub ambient cooling, where the extra power and possibly better binning of the high end cards, ie. K|ngp|n, classified, lightning etc really show.

1070. 150W better performamce.

Thanks E_D.

Don't really mind about the wattage, what interests me more is the OC headroom.

As you say the 1070 performs better (5 to 10%, am I correct?), but the KP might have room for quite a big OC, that would (maybe?) compensate or even exceed 1070 perf.

What do you think?

An other thing to take into consideration is that I will keep this card no more than 2/3 months, until 1080ti launch.

As always, your input is highly appreciated! ;)

They all top out around the same on ambient my man. ;)

Edit: honestly, you are keeping it for only a couple months so, the cheapest one is what I would pick. A 980ti is good to 2560x1440 ultra...

Last edited:
They all top out around the same on ambient my man. ;)
This^^^^

If you're looking to upgrade and do the trade up program, I think your decision is made right there. Just get the 1070 and wait for the 1080ti.

Ahhhh... I am such a thankful lad! Mwuahaha!!!

- - - Updated - - -

This^^^^

If you're looking to upgrade and do the trade up program, I think your decision is made right there. Just get the 1070 and wait for the 1080ti.

Yep, or I might just wait for the Ti, lol!

Just that I can't play DA Inquisition maxed out@1440p :D

Edit: stupid itch of buying things I don't even need, as I have almost no time for gaming benching...

Heck, did 2 submissions in 3 months on the bot and played 2 hours of DAI in3 weeks...

Last edited:
Edit: stupid itch of buying things I don't even need, as I have almost no time for gaming benching...

Heck, did 2 submissions in 3 months on the bot and played 2 hours of DAI in3 weeks...
It can be a expensive hobby! Be glad yo don't have a Microcenter near you. :D

Back