• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Freeze!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eren24

Hi Guys,

Need Help!

I have sony vaio vpcea21fx on the office but whenever I opened several tabs on the browser and Skype it freezes. There is no other way than to force my laptop to shut it down. I have tried all the cleaning method from software to hardware but it still freezes. Do you think there is something wrong with my hardware or need to be change?:(

Thanks,

Erin

What cleaning methods?

It is a 5years+ old laptop, right?

I suspect the dust to be everywhere inside, lol!

Best thing would be to open it, clean the radiator and fan, and change the thermal paste.

Bought a 3 years old Asus a few weeks ago, it was hitting 100c while browsing, freezing... and the radiator was looking like this:
radasus.jpg

Does it freeze in every browser or just one?

Have you tried a from scratch clean install of Windows?

Have you tried removing the bottom cover of the laptop and blowing out the dust from the motherboard and particularly the CPU heat sink/fan with compressed air?

Yes this is a 5 years old lappy.:D I have already clean this and change its thermal paste but it still freeze whenever I browse and open some software like Photoshop and Skype. When this two open at the same time all my programs stop responding and the only thing moving over my monitor is the cursor can even click the start button.

Does it freeze in every browser or just one?

Have you tried a from scratch clean install of Windows?

Have you tried removing the bottom cover of the laptop and blowing out the dust from the motherboard and particularly the CPU heat sink/fan with compressed air?

Yes I have tried from scratch clean install and cleaning it all over. I also also paint the keyboard area to make it look new. :D maybe this lappy is too old that it needs to rest?:( But I love this lappy.:(
image1.JPG

it freezes. There is no other way than to force my laptop to shut it down. I have tried all the cleaning method from software to hardware but it still freezes. Do you think there is something wrong with my hardware or need to be change?:(

Thanks,

Erin

With a laptop, the first suspect is the HDD!

Hard drive dying maybe?

I think I might try this one changing my hard drive, maybe because my lappy is too old and its hard drive is over used and have a lot of scratches? :(

- - - Updated - - -

With a laptop, the first suspect is the HDD!

I think the majority tells me that I have a defective hard drive then I might change it and buy a new one.

Thanks RJARRRPCGP

I think I might try this one changing my hard drive, maybe because my lappy is too old and its hard drive is over used and have a lot of scratches? :(

- - - Updated - - -

I think the majority tells me that I have a defective hard drive then I might change it and buy a new one.

Thanks RJARRRPCGP

Even with a pre-2010 SATA laptop, I highly recommend a SSD. You don't have to defrag SSDs.

^This.

I put one in a 2007 HP AMD X2 64, last year, and it was perfect for browsing, watching movies and office work!

Run CrystaldiskInfo on the hard drive to check the SMART drive data for clues to hard disk failure. When the program loads you will hear a little musical jingle if it finds problems and the problem will be highlighted in yellow.

^This.

I put one in a 2007 HP AMD X2 64, last year, and it was perfect for browsing, watching movies and office work!

I went over a computer store yesterday and they also recommend me to buy a SSD but I think it’s a little bit pricey it cost around 2x than disk drive. But I think if that’s the best solution then I should buy it. But not know my funds can’t still afford it.

- - - Updated - - -

Run CrystaldiskInfo on the hard drive to check the SMART drive data for clues to hard disk failure. When the program loads you will hear a little musical jingle if it finds problems and the problem will be highlighted in yellow.

I will try your advice trents! Thank you! :D

Back