• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive passed SMART tests, partition won't read in Linux.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

Basically the title. A buddy of mine is running a similar setup to mine, except he's running a WD Blue 1TB for storage and a 4690K on air. Late last week, his storage drive (the WD) suddenly disappeared from Explorer. Without thinking, he reformatted it, and now he can't access the partion in System Rescue CD, which is his preferred method of creating C: drive images using PartImg.

What we've tried so far:
Checked SMART data (passed)
Reformatted in Windows (unchecked "Quick Format")
Deleting the partion in GPartEd via SRCD and creating a new one -> This didn't actually work. Once he clicked "Apply", it immediately returned to GPartEd, with nothing accomplished.

At this point, I'm not sure what's happening. Any ideas?

Go to Disk Management and determine that the disk is accessible. It should have 'primary partition' or 'unallocated' or such beneath the drive letter. Changing the disk status will open it up for use.

Sorry, I didn't mention that the disk is accessible through Windows Explorer now, after the reformat. The problem is that it isn't accessible in Linux (SRCD). That wouldn't be a problem, except that SRCD is his primary backup tool. His internet connection is around 400KB/s, so a complete reinstall with his apps literally takes days.

Back